Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting your truck in the local parade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Dec 16, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone done it? I`m really thinking about jumping in this years Christmas Eve Parade. Its usually pretty big, and it goes accross the city for about 5-6 hrs. I work at the Christmas Tree Shops (if anyone knows what that is) so I was thinking of grabbing a couple lighted decorations and a power inverter and some candy, and I`m thinking about maybe taking the cap off and having someone sit in the back and throw candy to the kids....

Tell me what you guys have done, if you`ve done it at all, I need some convincing:D

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

uhm, get a showier truck... :dunno:

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If you had a pickup bed, i'd say make a redneck hottub with a tarp. I've seen guys use onboard air as jets :)

Just gotta figure out how to make it warm........

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Easy, heat exhanger between the pool water and engine coolant! Get that sucker so hot you couldn't possibly stand to sit in it within a few hours of running :D

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lol, sure...I bet I could have the bed completely dry in about 3 blocks with my K10... ;)

-A

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Oh yah, and if you have 1/2 ton springs, better bet on placing wood blocks between the rear springs and frame.....or havea really good overloads.....water is heavy:eek1:

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Get a smoke screen kit or add flame throwers to the exhaust. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

is that a '65?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they sell 12V wreaths and trees!..

I got an "auto" wreath one Christmas a few years ago, thats wired with 12V colored bulbs !..its still in the box,unused,under my bed!--I was a bit hesitant to put it on my truck,but I was thinking of putting it on top of my 30' high antenna pole ,you'd be able to see it a mile away!..I've seen 12V Christmas trees for sale ,I'm suprised you dont carry them at Christmas Tree Shop!..(or do they?):crazy:

10. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What, mine isn`t showy enough?:D

I think it would be, trucks like mine are rare around here...I`ve only seen a few that live in the city...(ie lifted trucks)

But I think you have to be a member of a club to ride, not sure though. Oh well

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have had entires in parades before. This coming year my rig will be in 2 parades as well as a couple other trucks I hope. Don't need to get all Fancy, Put some banners on for what and who you are advertising for the christmas tree lights would be a nice touch, Throw some candy out to the kiddies and have fun. OH, by the way and this is the most important part. Don't do the stupid parade wave!
    :haha:

12. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

'65 El Camino with I6 and 3 on the tree with a rebuilt 2ddl and a new cam since the old one wore down a lobe. Single pipe with cherry bomb and custom "tip". The thing has alot of half-@ss body work and rust so its just primered and dropped with cut springs. Its my cousins, didnt have any good shots of my 63 Merc shooting dual flames.
    Heres a shot with fresh primer, armor all, and a little polishing...
    [​IMG]

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i had a '65 for a while too. quarters were made entirely of bondo and galvanized sheetmetal. :doah:

14. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

We take one of our SAR Search pickups, a search boat (jet sled) and tow our SAR trailer with one of the 1 ton trucks. Run the flashy lights and blip the air horn once in a while and everybody loves it. This year we went kinda overboard put big bows on the winch bumpers and on the mirrors, put a honda generator in the pickup bed and put an inflatable snowman in the boat with Christmas lights all the way around. Folks loved it! Kids just wanted the candy and the Jr. Sheriff badges we gave out :-)

15. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

two years ago my girl was the homecoming queen canidate back in high school, and our little town always has a parade so we hooked the float up to the K5 took the top off, and she sat in the back seat. i would have sat with her but football players had to ride on the fire trucks. i say do it, i had the only k5 in town and everyone was amazed that the top comes off (you would be surprised at how many people dont know that, or even know the window rolls down) so heck ya put it in the parade, you will have more people come up to ya and tell ya how much they like your truck than you would ever know.

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

again i love arizona:D

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ive driven in at least one Parade every year since I was 17 with My blue K10 has been in 3 parades all for my FFA Chapter. Driven a Farmall H in one, Driven my uncles 63 Biscayne in one, also my 71 C20 in a parade also. Candy is always good keeps the kiddies happy, and yes like Kert said avoid the wave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year for my home towns 125th aniversary celebration we are calling in the troups. All my uncles and cousins that can come. Itll be quite the line up of Drey rigs.
    My Great Grandpa Johns 63 Biscayne he bought new(uncle dave owns now)
    My Grandpas 71 C20 He bought new(i own now)
    My Blue K10
    My Grandpas 67 C10(uncle Kevin owns now
    then the tractors
    I dont think we are putting the John Deere in but there are all of these that might

2 - Hs
    Super M
    2 - 656s

Heres all our tractors...and we only farm like 300 acres
    [​IMG]
    (the tractors are dad, uncle dave and my late grandfathers toys)

18. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Just feed the guest beans and whala bubbles and heat:haha:

19. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG]

20. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty certain that my K5 is parade-worthy. I'll be getting into some local summer parades in '07. Never done it before but it should be fun...