Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PUUHLEASE change your oil!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, May 17, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I changed the oil today on a 91 S15 Jimmy that I swear was the original oil that the truck left the factory with! When I managed to get the drain plug off (which was on there real tight!) The oil came out like tooth paste. It stuck out of the drain hole at an angle, then fell off. It kept doing that for a few min then would gush out like normal, then plug up and go back to the tooth paste thing. I ended up sticking my pocket knife in there and swishing it around to loosen the crap up and keep it flowing. I have refilled it and will let it run and drain again. The guys gets to pay for 2 oil chages now because of the lack of maintenance. I cant believe the thing even had oil pressure. I have seen some cars in need of an oil change before but this was ridiculous!

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Nasty..never heard of oil going that bad. I change my oil about every 3,000 miles.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

It was NASTY! I use one of the enclosed drain pans that you can pick up and carry w/ out spilling it, and when the chunks would fall out you could hear THUDS! When I left the shop the chunks were still intact. I have never seen anything like this before.

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

my friends little brother just bought a wrangler and he threw a rod a few weeks later. The oil, like gum, it seememd more like grease than oil, lol

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"Uh-ohh.... This ones gunna' need a engine- "

You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen people do..

<font color=green>1989</font color=green>

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

and you know whats even more shocking,

They don't even listen...
    You can tell 'em up and down, three diffrent languages.
    You could have Jebus tell 'em himself - and thay still wouldn't listen.

<font color=green>1990</font color=green>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahh, I guess they get whats comeing to 'em.

Just a side-note.
    Run a 50/50 mix of ATF and 5/30 through it, run it up to temp (keep the Rz low) - than drain and refill. The ATF has extra detergent init and will help flush the junk out of it. Works pretty good.
    But, I'll bet this guys gonna to hang a rod out anyway.

<font color=green>1991</font color=green>

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=green>1992</font color=green>

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you can also run diesel through it in place of the oil; if there is any glazing, sludge etc. this will completely restore the engine.

do NOT use diesel #1 - diesel #2 has oil in it as an additive. this is what you do - idle the thing for 20 minutes - there is plenty of oil in the diesel to lube, but if you do more then idle it the diesel cannon keep the engine cool. after you idle it for 20 minutes, then turn it off so i can completely cool down, then start it up again to idle for 20 minues, and then drain, and fill with oil. you will need to run for about another 20 minutes, and then do another oil change to get rid of all the diesel.

older vehicles that were not full flowing, and used the 30 weights etc. didn't really run through a filter (had a filter, but oil didn't go through it in it's normal path) so sludge would accumulate in the bottum. (like 1950 &amp; earlier) the guys all use this method when the engine gets too hot &amp; gets glazing, or when they want to convert their engines to full flowing, or use a detergent based oil.

I saw this topic debated by some really really good mechanics on another board; I was hesitant at first about how this method would work, but I'm am completely convinced it is a really good method for getting that kind of crap out.

I'd seriously consider it - just be prepared that when sludge has accumulated in an engine like your has that when you start cleaning it out you may clog an oil passage somewhere.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reminder/forums/images/icons/smile.gif - The Blazer's nearly due, and the Bronco's about 1000 overdue.....Since it rolled off the lot in 1987 this thing has never gone more than 3000 without an oil change (The previous owner had all this documented in a ledger type deal), and it's got 3900 on the clock since it's last service/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Mine leaks enough that I know that will never happen. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahh-ha-ha, been there!

(P.I. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

<font color=green>1995</font color=green>

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

With basic maintance, "It's pay me now or pay me MORE later"!

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I tend to change my oil more often the needed. I change it on the first of each month. I usely only put 500 to 1000 miles between oil changes. I know it could go longer, but I got into this habbit over 10 years ago. I also like to use Vavlaline 20/50 oil and Hastings filters.

15. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Wow that is really frequent, I know I will get bashed for this, but I change mine about every 5 to 6 thousand. The guy I bought it from has had many many good trucks that last and last (not to mention is a mechanic himself) and that has been his schedule, so i figure stick with the schedule and havn't had a problem yet with my 82 6.2L. Runs great....
    I run straight 30HD .. don't need anything else for South Texas weather.. Havoline...
    Sergio

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat it, I usually get 8000 between oil changes. I have to add a quart or two between though, so it is a little cleaner. Haha, don't try this at home!

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats probably allright anyway...most owners manuals say to change it every 7500 or something for everything but city driving...I like to change mine every 2500 or so...

18. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Amen, Wayne. Mine has what I like to call "non-environmental self-regulating oil pressure". IOW, if I put too much oil in, it leaks faster. Not exactly environmentally friendly, but now all I have to do is change the filter every once in a while.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think that falls under the "nothing to lose" catagory
    the engine is already dead so you can run anything you want through it.
    again, diesel is not a solvent so I wouldnt choose it.
    you used to be able to buy straight detergent according to a friend that was in to flatheads.
    I am curious what makes someone a mechanic in the USA?
    here there is government tests and licences that must be passed and aquired so that Quickie Lube employees cant claim to be mechanics

20. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

actually this is a nothing to loose category - and nothing wrong with doing it... not something I'm going to debate - I know it sounds a bit scary, but I think if anybody really put some good research into it they'd find out it will not hurt the engine to try this. this is plenty of oil in #2 diesel to lubricate the engine, but it will not cool it so RPM's more then idle will damage the engine.

not that I don't respect the people on this board, but I learned this from some real old school guys that make most everybody here look like babies, and they are really good mechanics. besides - thier resoning &amp; explainations make sense.

I've tried it before with no problems, and if I ever run an engine hot again I will do it again.