Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PW power path ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tx_sub, Jan 23, 2006.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I know that power for the headlights goes through the switch and using a relay can boost performance. Leading me to the question of power windows...

Does the power go through the steering column since its an ignition hot circuit? My windows are painfully slow and I don't really want to tear into the doors again. Can I wire in a relay to get a "hotter" source?

Another thought occurred to me, aren't the switches wired in series? So if one of the switches is unplugged, it leaves the circuit open and dead?

Thanks brothers.

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WD40 down the tracks?

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

lube is temporary, i've got wd40 and silicone and lithium grease. Really its more curiosity. Maybe I should check my Haynes manual and try to figure out the wiring maze/diagram.

4. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

I assume your root problem is slow power windows? If so take a look at the pair o switches on the driver's door. They often get fried and have so much internal resistance that they drop the voltage to the motor down to 8 or 9 volts. To test, unplug thr motor and hot wire it with a pair of wires directly to the battery. If it goes fast then, you can conclude there is resistance in the circuit. Most likely the switches.

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Good call. I'v got the 4 position switch with the burb. Parts stores don't carry that one too much. Its harder to find. Just need to keep looking.

6. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Did you determine that it was the switches? I have a K/5 with only two switches..and I have seen that as a HELP part ..but I don't recall seeing the bank of four.

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

No, I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment. Power steering and heater core.