Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pw tailgate window down but not up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Jan 11, 2001.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok sh.. happens and I got mad and pulled a nutty when I had my tailgate down. Therefore I picked it up and slammed it as hard as I could. (I wasn't even mad at the truck) Luckily all is good except that I can only put the window back up by the dash switch and not the key in the tailgate. It still goes down by the key but not up. I know it won't let you put it back up if it isn't shut all the way but what determines that? It is shut all the way and lined up perfectly thanks to a new GM rear floor. Obviously I loosened or broke something and am looking for some insight on where to start. Its really a pain to use the dash switch to close the window and I hate it when things don't work. Any insight? (I mean on my window problem, not the fact I flip out now and then and the truck takes the abuse)

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

On the left latch (drivers side) there is a safety cutout switch that from what I can tell only works with the keyed switch in the tailgate when trying to raise it. This may be your problem. You can gain access to it with the gate up or down. I find it easier with the gate down and the window rolled up and supported. Disconnect the plug and run a jumper wire between the plug terminals and try the key. If it works, then the switch is bad or the mechanism that activates it is not making contact. To pull the switch out, remove the screws that hold the latch (the switch is mounted on the latch). Also, check the connections under the tailgate to make sure they are connected.