Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pyrometer ????s

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2puller, Jul 14, 2004.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I have my truck in good running order right now so I am looking at some upgrade/modifications. I tow with it and would like a Pyrometer to monitor the temps befor I modify anything.

Do you guys run probes on each manifold? Where did you mount your probe and what style did you use? I haven't even looked yet but do 6.2 stock manifolds have a 1/4 NPT or would it need to be added if I went that route?
    Last but not least most of the suppliers list pre turbo or aft turbo, wich do we want for a NA 6.2? I am guessing the pre turbo but figured I would ask.
    TIA for your thoughts and experiences.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have my truck in good running order right now so I am looking at some upgrade/modifications. I tow with it and would like a Pyrometer to monitor the temps befor I modify anything.

Do you guys run probes on each manifold? Where did you mount your probe and what style did you use? I haven't even looked yet but do 6.2 stock manifolds have a 1/4 NPT or would it need to be added if I went that route?
    Last but not least most of the suppliers list pre turbo or aft turbo, wich do we want for a NA 6.2? I am guessing the pre turbo but figured I would ask.
    TIA for your thoughts and experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have one on the turbo 6.2 and it's on the hot side of the turbo, I don't know if that would be the pre or aft.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    After consideration, I guess it's aft since when the air is compressed it's at it's hottest.
    right?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, if the engine is stock, and fuel is not turned up, no need to waste money on a pyrometer unless you plan on turning up the fuel in the future. Secondly, you would want a pre turbo pyro because it will go in the manifold just like a pre turbo pyro would go with a turbo. I didnt really know companys made two different kinds, the only difference would be the temp. range on the guages I guess.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Yes that was the difference. Basicaly just different faces on the gauge. What about two probes or one?

And yes, I plan to modify the engine after I know where it stands as stated in my first post. I am just trying to get the basics done first.

SO far I am leaning towards a dual pre-turbo pyrometer and then a tranny temp guage.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

No need for a dual pyrometer IMO, unless you have a problem with an individual cylinder, the temps should be very even side to side. Also, if/when you add a turbo you only need one thermocouple right before the turbo, so the other one would not be needed.

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess it's aft since when the air is compressed it's at it's hottest. right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre turbo shows tha highest temperature for the exhaust gases and therefore the most closely associated with whats going on in the combustion chamber - which is what you want. It is 100-200 or more higher (it's variable and somewhat of a guess) than post turbo because heat is extracted from the exhaust in the form of work to turn the turbo and compress the intake air.

Basically there are strap on thermocouples and insertable thermocouples, obviously the kind which insert into the exhaust stream are more accurate and more importantly - they are going to respond quicker. You do have to drill into the exhaust manifold typically, which is done by most people with the engine idleing (blowing out any debri), also use grease on the drill bits(use 2 or 3 sizes - start small). Then you have to tap the hole for the correct thread size - again use grease, and keep the engine idleing.

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Ok, now I am confussed. I thought looking at the picture that the strap on one was still inside the exhaust. I pictured drilling a hole, inserting the probe then puting the strap over it to hold it in place.

Any other opinions on dual or single probe? If you all agree that the two manifolds run the same than I will save the money and go single probe.

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My failure to explain correctly. There are in fact strap-ons that are exactly as you describe.

My job is instrumentation at a Nuclear Power Plant, I work with thermocouples and RTD's alot and was blurring my applications.

I agree a single Thermocouple is adequate for the intended purpose of telling you whats going on in your combustion chamber. Note that you could safely see 200-300 higher temperatures in a Non-turboed engine. ie 1050-1100 max (turboed for a 6.2) verses 1200-1300 neighborhood for a non-turboed 6.2 engine.