Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q' about head studs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Nov 5, 2004.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Q\' about head studs...

So anyone running arp studs & nuts for thier heads instead of head bolts?
    Whats the proper way to install em? Seems like i've heard you use some loctite and install them in the block then put the head on and lightly snug the head down and leave it like that overnight so the loctite will dry and the studs will remain straight? Then you can slide the head on and off the studs.

What is the torquing procedure? a dial indicator on the stud and measure how much strech as your tightening the nut with a box end wrench?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif How much strech? Should instructions come with the stud kit?
    Then do you need to re-torque them after like 500 miles break-in?

Thanks.

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Re: Q\' about head studs...

I've run them on a few big blocks. there are instructions with them. No loctite, but a good sealer. Like any stud you install finger tight and DO NOT bottom them into the block. I've only set them by torque, not stretch. I wouldn't run them unless you're using a lot of compression, blower, or nitrous. They are a pain in the rear, 1. they like to seep water, even using sealant on them I still end up adding stop leak later. 2. It becomes real hard to pull the heads in the vehicle. 3. On big blocks with stock exhaust port locations, you have to clearance the header flanges.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Are you thinking to put studs in the engine in your Blazer?

I seriously considered head studs for my 388. But, with as far back as the motor sits against the firewall in 4wd 67-72 trucks, I opted not to. If I ever had to pull a head, I was not sure if I would have enough room to slide the head off without hitting the heater box or brake booster. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I went with ARP head bolts instead. Just a thought..... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 11:1 BBC has head studs, and the motor will have to come out of my camaro for a head to come off, and YES the headers had to be clearanced. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.. a friend was thinking of running them on his sbc also..
    I think sealant is what i meant instead of locktite.
    So when you torqued the heads on you just torqed them to factory spec i think 60-70 ft lbs. with your studs.?
    I thought you were supposed to use a rod strech gauge- but in this case i guess it would be a dial indicator like i mentioned...
    Just wondering how to torque em if i ever needed to pull the heads..