Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q..for really knowledgeable people

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, Jun 12, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

hey guys..maybe it all the meds that i'm on, or the massive lack of sleep. but I have been thinking, and i have come up with and invention/ideal that would/could totally revulutioize the automotive and houseing industire. How do i go about getting my invention/ideal pattent and get the ball rolling..i won't say what it is just yet..but you will love it!
    Thought of it a little while ago, and at first decided to say "oh well i'm sure someone else will think of it someday"..but now i'm thinking i really want to see what i can do with this. was thinking that this could be my legacy, gift to all of you, and socitiy in general after i'm dead. Plus was thinking if i was able to get things going before i'm pushing up daisies, i would be able to leave behind enough money to support my Grandmother, Sister and nephew, of of course my ex..(yeah i know, they don't do crap for me...but thats the kind of person i am)
    I really serious about this right now..and i would like some serious help/answers form those of you in the know..since i don't work and spend a lot of my time just sitting around my house..i have nothing but time to work on this and get it going..

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well the invention summition companys that say they will help you pantent, you idea are not really much help.

they are baced overseas and will "help" you for a huge chunck of any profit that are made, but YOU have to put up the cash for start up and paper work, to the tune of 10000 bucks!!! That IS IF they like you idea and think it will actualy make some money.

(a good friend whet thought this)

the best idea I would say is to draw it all up as profesionaly as posable copy it and mail it to your self FIRST as a dated sealed record of when you made it up.

then go and try to sell the idea to a company that make simaler things.

maybe an all out buyout or a % of the pie

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Make sure you have someone else do the writing for you................ :D

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Patent attorneys will occasionally take a piece of the gross (if the idea ever gets going) and do patent work for you. Otherwise it is a very, very expensive process. Many good patent attorneys have offices in Los Angeles and Delaware. If patents are not done right they are essentially worthless and extremely expensive to protect. Most patent attorneys will tell you that patent litigation rarely pays off (except for the attorney). Overseas patent issues are more complex than in the US and often violated.

Some ideas aren't patent worthy, and there are also many ideas out there already patented. Do a thorough search before you do anything else. Then if the idea isn't already patented, and you feel it is necessary to patent the idea, get the patent but put together a good GTM (Go-To-Market) biz plan, get some capital raised and sell it fast before it's stolen overseas

I think it is often better to start selling whatever it is without a patent. Then how you do what you do is a non-disclosed trade secret. Then if there's enough interest (menaing it is generating revenue in some significant amount), pursue a patent, if indeed it is a patentable product.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Even if you don't have the money time or talent to develope the idea right now get it down on paper I don't know how to submit a patent but I have a freind who has a couple of patents and he said that as soon as you submit it you should send a copy in a ceritified letter to yourself then when you get it don't open it, if someone should be competing with you for the patent this will help date your idea.

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Be careful.

Once you have disclosed to the public you usually lose the ability to patent. (Don't start selling without starting the patent process)

Start the patent process before you disclose to anyone who has not signed a non-disclosure.

-Ben

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The solution to that is a well drawn non-disclosure. As soon as the patent process is started the information becomes public knowledge and until patent is granted there is NO protection. Patent Pending offers the inventor NO protection under US patent law.

Good point tho re: non-disclosure agreements mandatory for anyone involved.