Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet almost whistling Dixie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Predator, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

Alright, I took that Performer carb off tonight and slapped on an old Q-jet I recently rebuilt. It will start up if I pump the gas to keep it running, but there is a loud, horrible sound coming from the carb area when its running. Its kind of like a blower whine, almost a whistle. I played with the plates to make sure it wasn't them. Anyone else ever run into this??? Any ideas?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Take brake cleaner or WD-40 and spray it around the base of the carb or other suspect areas and listen for a change in idle. Sounds like a vacuum leak. It will make some sucking noise with the air cleaner off, but shouldn't be excessive.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, vacuum leak for sure.

4. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

OK, sprayed wd-40 and I didn't notice any change. I mean this thing is LOUD.............

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might want to pull it back up and check the gasket for anything. Also check the screws that hold the bottom plate of the carburator on if the first does not work. You might have ended up with some kinsd of garbage on the gasket area. Good luck.

6. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

(@(^^%#$%(*#&$)@( ok, pulled it back up and pulled the airhorn and checked inside,looked ok. Then found the bottom plate screws were a little loose. Tightened those up and slapped it back on.... still whining. I'm getting ready to hail mary it into the back yard...... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Any more thoughts?

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Have you checked all the vacumme fittings? Mine did this and it ended up being the vacumme port on the back of the manifold that goes to the tranny. Good luck.

8. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

Found it!! I had put one of those aluminum spacers between the carb & intake and I guess it's not flat. I took it out and that did the trick. Thanks guys!