Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

q-jet bog or axle wrap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jim82, Nov 20, 2000.

1. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

when i goose the throttle on pavement, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, and then it takes off. engine noise seems steady during that time. are the 2" blocks in the back causing axle wrap, or is the q-jet bog i have heard so much about? I've driven stock k-5 that have no problem chirping their tires off the line

2. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Dude, look out the window at your rear axle when you do this (check for traffic ahead of you!). You'll know if it's wrapping...
    Thoughts:
    1) you have a non-stock stall convertor (higher than)
    2) tranny not quite right
    3) bog goes rrrrrr-baaaaa-rrrrRRRRRR

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I am guessing that you are not chirping those tires because they are bigger on the K-5 with the 2.5 inch lift. (Your gear ratio becomes higher unless you have swaped gears.) Thought I might explain the obvious. HEHE.

sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

I think you might be right about the stall converter, the guy i got the truck from was using it for towing, and he put a new tranny in it, maybe he got a different stall converter. Thats why it has 2" blocks in the back, to counter the trailer load. The tires are only 32"s, but something is off cause the sppedo is 15-20 mph off. I think it was a 700r to th350 swap. I think he had it regeared for towing (higher gears?) It really isnt the chirp im looking for, just that the gas seems like a bungee cord, stomp it and it sits for a while, then takes off.

when all else fails, check your muffler bearings ;)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds like a classic Quadrajunk bog to me. Try loading it up on the brakes a little and see if it is the same.

Every car or truck I've had with the q-junk has done this to me. I finally got sick of trying to make the Q-junk work, so I swapped an Edelbrock 600 w/electric choke on my Jimmy. What a world of difference. Its downright snappy![​IMG]

Just my 2 cents (1.4 cents US [​IMG])

Rene

[​IMG]