Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet Carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it worth fixing the worn-out throtle shaft? There seems to be a lot of play in the shaft. Is there bushings that you can put in there or what is the correct fix.

thanks

Justin

2. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good question. I think it depends if they are the primaries or secondaries. Not real sure. I've done alot of reading lately on this.

Adding brushings is the correct solution. This work is for more of the advanced back yard mechanic. You need a drill press. Also the screws for the butterflies will likely snap off when you remove them. .. from experience. A local shop here does the work for 40 bucks. Still you don't know if the carb will be good or not untill you get it on and running.

One needs to balance the time of rebuilding the carb as to just getting the now discontinued elderbrock carb before it is all gone.

Here is a good read about some one who did this themselves
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101619&highlight=throttle+shaft+drill

3. Justin Fleming

There was some great material in those post.....Good reading and I found a few things that I will do now befor putting it back to gether.

Does anyone know if someone actually sells a bushing kit or is everything on a custom level? I will be heading down to my buddies machine shop if I cant find what I need on the shelf.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

carbs unlimited sold me two bushings for $5 about two-three years back.

Problem with those bushings is that they are knurled and require a very unique (around here) drill bit, which is "J" IIRC. I think my dad took the bit, so I can't recall exactly which is was, but J rings a bell. I think the bit alone cost me $20.

5. Justin Fleming

you only put the bushings on each end and not in the center part?

6. dyeager535

Only put the *bushing* in the drivers side of the primary throttle shaft. That's the one that sees the majority of the load from the throttle cable, so it's the one that wears.

Even the carb shop nearby only does that one, (they say the same thing, others are unnecessary) but will be happy to double the cost to install one more bushing.

7. Justin Fleming

well I am the kind of guy that if I am in there I am going to do it once the correct way and be done with it. I am going to spin up some of my own bushings and I will line bore all the holes in one shot.......It only makes sense to do it right. You spend all the time and effort in the setup anyhow.....

8. dyeager535

Just personal preference I guess. Check them out, I suspect you'll see almost no movement on the sides.

Only reason they cause problems is either the vacuum leak from them being so bad, or idle isn't consistent because the throttle plates never shut exactly the same amount when the shaft moves. None of the other bores have the problems fixed by the one primary shaft bushing.