Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

q-jet cutting out on steep inclines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell Keys, May 23, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

After rebuilding my carb it has started to cut out on steep uphill climbs. It doesnt feel like it's flooding but not sure. the engine starts to cut out until i give more throttle, but then the front end starts hopping and things get hairy. I was told by a guy on the trail to add an inline press regulator, and turn it down when I do steep climbs. Has anyone else had this prob? What did you do to solve it?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Have you extended the vent lines? The float boals have vents that can splash fuel into the primaries (secondaries generally arn't open when going over ruff stuff). I added a 3" piece of fuel line to mine and it cured it.

3. My rebuilt Q-Jet used to do that, then I advanced my timing a bit, and havent had it kill on me yet. Later 80K20

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Try setting your float a little lower and see if that helps.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Set your float really low. I did that on my Jimmy and can climb almost vertical. The only problem with that is on the street it runs way lean and whan you floor it, it doesnt get enough gas and hesitates.

Dan

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I dd both
    Put a 3" piece of fuel line on the vent and lowered my float 1/16th. so far so good......