Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-Jet experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Feb 3, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had to take my carb apart to clean it (again :surepal: :whistle: ) and i took it apart more than i did before. there was one screw that is infront of the needle and seat and behind the power valve ?? (funky thing with the main metering rods on it. it a retangle shape that needs a special tool (or needle nose pliers :grin: ) to get out. i counted the turns out and put it back where it was (i think)

anyway, now its running rich at idle, is this the idle mixture screw? if so, which way do i have to turn it to get it back to where it was?

if not where is the idle mixture setting at?

this carb is really pissing me off. i want to go TBI SOOOOO bad, just no $$$

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  2. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

Thats the ADP adjustable part throtte, holds the primary rods out of the jets for part throttle cruising when the power valve is pulled down by vaccum, prevents lean condition during cruise. 2.5 to 3.5 turns out from seated, depends on your engine requirements. You dont normally mess with that. you have to make small adjustments untill you get it right. The float adjusted to high can cause rich condition. The mixture adj are on the front at the base plate. They may be covered with factory plugs depending on what year the carb is. Retrace your steps on what you did to the carb one at a time. ,Good luck

3. big83chevy4x4

it ran fine at all spots till i had to take it apart and clean it, thats the only thing i adjusted. i didn't adjust the float as it was set correctly before. but maybe it is just a little high :thinking: i also have never touched the mixture screw in the front.

i remember that ADP was 5 turns in from being loose. just now i realized that i should have screwed it all the way in to find out where it was at :doah: so that can't screw up the idle mixture?

which screw on the base plate controls what, is it the left controls the left primary and the right controls the right primary? which way do i turn it to lean it up.

i also noticed last night that it doesn't run so rich when its cold out (24 or so), but when its warm out (got to 43 today) it loads up and dies and is a bitch to start. so i don't think its too far off.

i don't want to screw this carb up too much, thats why im asking before i start turning things.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you should not have removed that thing

not good,

its preset factory setting

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats why the original castings don't have a plug . I have a removable plug added to mine , I barely , just a SCH , moved it . I wrote down how far too :k5: :k5:

6. big83chevy4x4

now someone tells me :surepal:

there was a bit of dirt behind it, and i think thats what caused the problem i was having thats it not doing anymore.

7. big83chevy4x4

anyone else? didn't get a chance to work on it today, but i am going to mess with it tomorrow

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there is a book by doug roe. i think it is titled rochester, any how i hav3e it & it is great, lots of pics & reaaly good info covers a complete build & good mods to help it out. it is an essential if u are not well versed on q-jets

9. big83chevy4x4

ill have to look for that book. didn't know there was a book on these.

I think i found my problem. it was that adjustment.
    http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/53360/

im gonna turn it 1/2 turn down and see what it does, then 1/4 turn either way depending on what is needed.

god i love the internet :grin:

10. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

You can knock the plug out of the top above the apt and adjust it while running.
    Make a tool out of small metal tubing by crushing it to fit the apt. Or go to a good auto parts store and ask for a double D carb adjusing tool, if they know what it is. This will fit the apt. You can buy a flush allen screw plug, I forget if its 3/8 or 5/16 fine thread and tap hole the where the plug was just enough to where the plug fits flush to the top. The plug has to be knock out from the bottom. But if you mess up the top of the carb, your done.

11. big83chevy4x4

sweet, did not know about that plug. i will look into doing that. keeps from pulling the carb apart.

thanks abunch, youve been helpfull