Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-Jet from '76 Buick?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Q-Jet from \'76 Buick?

Just picked up a rebuilt Q-jet from a good friend of mine. Couldn't tell me much about it, except that if it didn't work I could take it back. According to www.carbs.net it's out of a '76 Buick. Any reason why it would give me any $hit sittin in my '76 K5? Any significant differences between the Q-Jet on my truck now and this one sittin here on the desk? This one has an electric choke and the one on my truck doesn't...... Any problems there?

Hmm....More info....This carb is Federal standards, Not CA. Out of a vehicle with an auto tranny. Made on the 183rd day of 1975.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: Q-Jet from \'76 Buick?

should be similar if it is from a 350 car, otherwise I know the 455's got a larger 800 cfm model.

3. Zeus33rd

Hmmm....Grrr, Wish it wasn't raining outside...I'd go swap it on now. lol.....Dammit. :P

4. Zeus33rd

I just entered the carb # into the search thingy to find out how much an identicle one costs....This is what I got.
    Enter carb # 17056240
    http://www.carbs.net./Rebuilt/rebuildbynumber.asp

Now what the hell does "Type" and "CU" mean?

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Rochester R-4 4-455 189.50
    50 75-76 Buick

dude looks like you have a 455 quad on your hands. nice score. I have been looking for one of those. The type is that it is a Rocester 4 bbl. CU is the engine it is off of.

6. Zeus33rd

Hmmm, How do you think my 350 is going to react to 50 more CFM's? Too much for it?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Look and see if its actually an 800CFM unit. It won't hurt your motor being on it, but some fine tuning of the primary side would net you better cruise MPG I almost guarantee.

Heres how you tell: http://www.dorianyeager.com/qjetidentify.html

All the Olds 307's from the 80's were using 800CFM units, the "limiting" (for displacement and emissions) was done on the secondary side.

Just compare choke linkage, and realize that you can't use the stock Chev fuel line to that carb, if you care.

8. Zeus33rd

Well,Whatever it is I bolted it on and fired it up. No probs. Runs like a raped ape too. The fuel inlet is alittle different....Couldn't use the filter in the carb on this one. Gonna pick up one of those inline filters tommorrow. Also, I noticed that on my old q-jet when the secondaries opened, it sounde like a jet takin off. With this one I can barley hear them........Anyone know why?