Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q Jet givin' me Heck!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Jul 29, 2004.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Q Jet givin\' me Heck!!!!

Ok, I installed a slightly larger, freshly rebuilt (by Holley!?! weird /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ) Q Jet. Problem is, the second I get the front end up (like climbing a ledge), the darn thing starts chokin' and sputtering. I assume (bad, I know) that it has something to do with the float setting. Question is, is my diagnosis correct, and how do I adjust the float to act like a Q Jet should (run upside down /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif )?

Thanks,
    John

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Re: Q Jet givin\' me Heck!!!!

i dont have a solution for you, but if you want the performance and reliability of a QJet, they buy a QJet. I have good luck with both of mine, and one is stock from 76.

Id recomend going to the salavage yard and starting over.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My rebuilt ( by Holley ) Q-Jet is sitting in a box at a friends house , it sucks worse than my original one in my garage . Never had any luck with the store bought rebuilds , had to get one from an actual Carb place , and it runs great .

Now as to your trouble , it does sound like a float problem , either in shipping or in building of the carb . Maybe they forgot the plastic piece that goes around the float bowl that prevents slosh . Pop the top off carefully ( choke linkage will be tricky , and watch accelerator pump lever ) and adjust it a little higher /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Id recomend picking up "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. A good investment.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

whereja buy it? I bought a holley rebuilt from Checker and swapped about 10 before I got a winner. The parts guy got tired of seeing me. I had him drive my blazer after the 4th one. He never asked a question after that! Anyway, you get what you pay for. A good rebuild will cost a few hunnerd dollars but it's well spent money! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

a few hundred bucks? yikes! 10 dollar Qjet from the junkyard, a 20 dollar Doug Roug wealth of knowledge book, a 15 dollar rebuild kit, 1 cake pan, 2 cans of carb clean, and a couple of hours of a saturday afternoon. the amount of knowledge you gain doing it yourself it priceless when something goes wrong on the trial or road.

if you want a QJet, but a QJet.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I'll send you my carb and $50! I tried to rebuild it and got my ass kicked!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you paying shipping?

9. vw62rag

vw62rag Registered Member

i got a Q-jet out of my 3/4 ton suburban, it ran perfect, i put a edelbrock on, wana buy it? vw62rag@hotmail.com

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, I installed a slightly larger, freshly rebuilt (by Holley!?! weird /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ) Q Jet. Problem is, the second I get the front end up (like climbing a ledge), the darn thing starts chokin' and sputtering. I assume (bad, I know) that it has something to do with the float setting. Question is, is my diagnosis correct, and how do I adjust the float to act like a Q Jet should (run upside down /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif )?

Thanks,
    John

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like your float is too high. Quadraslobs are really picky about how much fuel is in the bowl.

Try adjusting the float down a tiny bit and see what happens.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the reply's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I've rebuilt a couple of Quadra Jets. I just happened to inherit this one that had never been used. Very strange seeing a Quadrajet with a rebuilt by Holley sticker on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Goober, I'll pop the top off and check the float. Thanks again all.

John

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You want me to pay shipping too? What a hard ass! I think when I bought the float I confused the kid behind the counter. He had to look in the book instead of the computer breast feeding him the part #.

I have an edlebrock on the blazer right now. It runs like a raped ape, 'cept raped apes don't like off camber and steep angles. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif