Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-Jet Idle Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 29, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I did a search and could not find anything on this particular problem. My idle is at about 1300rpm, and the adjustment screw that pushes on the throttle linkage isn't even touching. The linkage is stopped by something else before it comes back and hit the screw. So are there other ways to adjust the idle? This is a used carb that I just put on and maybe it will need work but I wanna try and getting it going for the time being. TIA

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The bushings in the throttle shaft might be worn and causing air to be sucked in past the throttle bore. Q-Jet bushings

Just a thought. I am sure one of the members here can tell you for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I found another screw on the pass side of the carb and was able to get the idle down, easy enough /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If a screw on the passenger side made a difference, the choke is messed up. That's idle speed adjustment for the choke.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The choke might need adjusting then too.

I just know that that the screw on the pass side was bumping up the idle because the throttle linkage would not even touch the screw on the drivers side, if that makes any sense.

Does this mean that the choke will raise the idle when you first start it up and once it was warmed up the idle drops back down to normal? I noticed the idle dropped some after it warmed up, but I dunno anything about these carbs. I am just guessing
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif