Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet Problemo. Flooding?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pontiacratrod, May 4, 2007.

1. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

I Just Rebuilt A '78 Q-jet And Put It On My Truck And Now It Idles Really Rough At Low Rpm's, Smooths Out Nice At Higher Rpm's But When I Put It In Gear It Dies Instantly. The Other Thing I Noticed Is That Light Smoke Is Coming Out Of The Carb Air Horn After Its Shut Off. Ive Seen This Before On Emissions Carbs But It Usually Goes Away After A Couple Seconds. On My Truck However, I Think I Stopped Counting At Twenty Minutes Before It Finally Stopped. Lastly When I First Pulled The Carb Off To Rebuild It, I Was Confused By The Fact That There Wasnt Any Gas In The Bowl. I Would Appreciate It If Anyone Would Throw Their Two Cents In...
    Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would say it needs to be opened up again , and triple checked as you put it back together .

Foreign matter or something bent could interfere with the rods doing their thing into the jets .

Are the well plugs epoxied ? They are known to leak fuel into the intake .

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do a good visual inspection. Be especially concerned with vacuum problems.