Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-Jet Problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stylzz, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

This may be long but I want to describe whats happening. Blazer sat for two weeks, went to use it and it ran fine for about five minutes. I came to a stop and she died. It was real hard to get going again but finally started. The next day she wouldn't start. Disconnected fuel line, no fuel. Replaced fuel pump. Everything was fine for a few short trips around town. Then all of a sudden when coming to a stop she started loading up again and died. It wont run unless I have my foot on the throttle, and runs real rough, as soon as I let up the carb fills up with fuel and she dies. Fuel pours out of everywhere. Any ideas, too much pressure? Needle seat? How to check these things? Thanks for the help.
    Joe
    1980 K5, 350, Rochester Q-Jet 4bbl stock.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i sometimes see needles get "cocked" at the top of the seat tube from the bowl being sucked dry due to a delivery problem. sometimes you can dislodge it with a couple raps from a screwdriver handle on top of the bowl.

if you pull the top, take a peak at the needle first and see if it's hanging clip is situated properly.....

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I really dont know anything about carbs so I dont know what it should look like. Should I just try buying a rebuild kit and clean it up and try it?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it's pretty self explanatory when you look at it. the float goes down and the needle goes up. just make sure that is operating correctly. something there is stuck allowing the bowl to overfill. new float never hurts, they don't come in rebuild kits. you can check the old one by floating it in gas (i usually let them sit overnight).

basic rebuilds are relatively easy. just take your time and note how things came apart.

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try to tackle it tomorrow.
    Joe