Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet rebuild help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Nov 7, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding a q-jet I picked up earlier this week and have a couple questions.
    1. There is what looks like a fuel line coming off the base plate on the back of the carb opposite of the fuel filter. What is this for and how can I block it off?
    2. I need to hook up vac advance and pcv, these are all I have other than the brake booster which is an obvious port. Which ports do I need to use for these two things?
    3. What jetting do I need to use. I would like to start with the factory 454 settings. The current jets are 77 with 51M primaries and DP secondaries. How would this setting fair, will it work or should I change it.
    4. It has an electric choke with one hookup that is a large odd shaped blade terminal. How do I hook this up?

Thanks for all your help!

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

1. the fuel looking line on the back is for your power brakes.

2. the pcv should use a large vacumn port on the front. the vacumn advance uses one on the front passenger side IIRC, not 100% sure.

3. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

That calibration should be close. That is a later model carb than I usually use, but it should be fine.

As stated in the other reply, what looks like a fuel line is the vacuum for power brakes. If you don't need it, you can take the fitting out and use a pipe plug, 1/4" pipe I think, to plug it.

The choke connector is odd, but you can get the correct terminal at many good carb shops, the aftermarket sells replacement terminals for it. Or go to the salvage yard and get one off a truck with electric choke.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay I guess next question is do I need a special tool for the idle screwson the bottom front of the carb?

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay I guess next question is do I need a special tool for the idle screwson the bottom front of the carb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking you have the same ones I do....small "flat" things. I used needle nose to adjust on mine, a bit tough to get to though.

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking of doing too but I don't have my needle nose pliers with me today. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You should be able to get a carb adjusting tool at an auto parts store. It's basically a screwdriver with a flexible shaft and different sockets. I believe there is one that will fit the q-jet idle screws.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd have to look at mine tommorrow , but I believe my spark c omes off the drivers side front of carb , but can't remember .

The choke wire can be made to work with a regular 1/4 inch female spade , just trim the connector on the carb OR use a 1/4 inch female and just slide one side over the odd shape and give it a squeeze once its on there . OR just solder a lead with a connector onto the carbs connector /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well i got one of the carb tools just to make it easier. Still haven't decided on how to wire the choke, had a manual before. Any other thoughts about the jetting before I put it on the truck?