Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet rebuild, who has done one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well, if you saw my post before this about my rig starting for the first time, my carb has been sitting awhile on a parts Burb that donated it. It is leaking from just about every seal on it. I want to rebuild it, but I have been told that Q-jets are a PIA to rebuild. I have rebuilt Holleys before without a problem, but I wanted to know if I was getting in over my head on this one? My optiona are to rebuild this one, have someone else rebuild it or just start over and buy a new carb. Whst is going rate on rebuilds these days?

Thanks in advance,

Krennen

2. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Q-Jets are not that hard to rebuild. Just take you time to dissasemble and assembly will be alot smoother. Biggest thing on a q-jet is to set the float height right and make shure the base isn't warped or the thottle bushings or shot. Also, you want to put epoxy over any factory soldered plugs on the main body cause thats were they like to leak fuel the most. When you let your veichle sit overnight, these plugs might leak enough fuel so the float bowl is drained out. If you don't like the sound of all of this, I highly recommend having Jet Perfomance in Cali do you overhaul for you> They take your carbuerator and caliabrate it to your veichles gears, engine size, cam, tire size and so on and so forth. Good luck, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif