Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet rebuilding???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Apr 26, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

Am I better off to try and rebuild it myself or I have a buddy that has done alot of them and he will do it for around $70. Just wanted to hear people thoughts on this.

2. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I watched my dad rebuild mine the first time. It's not real complicated, but I would suggest that you have someone with carb experience show you the ropes.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The kits come with pretty good directions. My advice would be get a junker and then go over to Dorian's page and match what you see to the picutres. If you loose stuff to the junker, who cares? Is this for a stock vehicle or a modified one? If its modified then I'd take to a real hotshot because you'd have to pick new metering rods, jets, settings, blah, blah, blah. They're only like $15 for the stock kit.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In the grand scheme of things, if he knows what hes doing, $70 isn't bad. But if you've got a bad throttle shaft bore, and its not fixed, you've kind of wasted time/money. If its not worn, a rebuild kit for a "standard" Q-jet is usually around $20, and barring anything unusual, its pretty darn easy.

Just don't bend anything, force anything, nor mess with the choke stuff at ALL if it was working ok to begin with.

5. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

pay the $140 (for a 1977 rochester Q-jet, 4MV) to this place (www.recarbco.com) for a completely rebuilt one and have a piece of mind and know that it is done 100% correct and you get a 1 year warranty!!! check it out....I got mine from there and it has been sweet!!!

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

only way to learn anything is to do it once or twice or more and learn, thats how i learned to rebuld carbs and engines and etc, have to start somewhere, they arent complicated, just make sure you start with good one in the first place, as previously stated make sure throttle shaft is tight and not sloppy

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Rebuild it yourself. It will pay for itself in experiance. You may need to do it a few times to get it right, but that is what I would do.