Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Jul 12, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I have a 1986 K-5 with a Q-jet carb. Any suggesstions with what to do with this carb (Trash?) Should I replace it with a holley? or other? Would I get better performance and would it be easier to work on?
    Any sugg's would be greatly appreciated..
    Ed

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Q-Jets are good carbs. I would suggest you buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You have the best performing carb for your truck already. I have used Holleys, Edelbrocks, Predators, and Demons. I ended up goin gback to the Q-jet. If they are buil tright, they the best fuel economy with great off road abililty. I have yet to have my truck stall out or cut out on me with my Q-jet. I can't tell you how many times my engine died while I was trying to climb a hill or cross a rocky stream because the carbs wouldn't work right. Stick with your Q-jet dude.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Smaller primaries=better throttle response, and higher total CFM=better top end performance, and the Q-jet has anything you'd want to put on your truck beat in both of those categories, unless you went with a 500CFM aftermarket carb, which would still limit top end.

Listen to everyone else, I've never had an incline induced problem with my Q-jet, (nor anything else short of a temporarily sticky float as far as I can tell) and it performs admirably for being almost 30 years old. (of course I "rebuilt" it about 2 yrs ago)

You can't beat going to the store and rebuilding it for $20. If it's a high mileage unit and the truck hasn't always been well maintained, (regular oil changes, etc) you may want to go through it, and *might* need the primary throttle shaft bushed. My '83 had an idle that would vary every time I came to a stop, and it was because it needed bushed. No big deal, theres a place called "carbs unlimited" up here in WA that can either sell you the bushings to do it yourself if you are so inclined, but if not, I think they will bush it for like $40. I know thats getting kind of in depth and outside of what you asked, but it might head off some other questions you may have, and let you know that if you are having problems that might be carb related, they shouldn't be hard to fix.

Theres a reason GM used the Q-jet from 1965-1990, it works!

5. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

"No big deal, theres a place called "carbs unlimited" up here in WA that can either sell you the bushings to do it yourself if you are so inclined, but if not, I think they will bush it for like $40."

Is carbs unlimited a good place to have my carb rebuilt? It's about 9 miles from where I live (the one in Fife) Would it take long to have it done? thanks.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had them do the bushing on one of my carbs, dads had two done there, nothing bad to say about their work, except the $40. You can buy two bushings from them (or could) for $5, but the special size drill bit ("J" IIRC) had to be ordered from the real hardware store I went to, and cost $20. As you can tell, since I like doing my own work, I bushed the carb I'm using now. A stepped drill set or pilot drill and vise would have made it a much easier/clean process.

For $40, they were ONLY bushing the drivers side of the primary throttle shaft. Absolutely nothing wrong with this, for the same reason the rear alternator bearing is never (hardly) bad...there is no load on the opposite side.