Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q-jet steadily getting worse and worse on angles.....Why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Does this mean it's time for a rebuild? It's been getting worse and worse over the last month or so.....Alot of the hill climbs I could easily make before, are causin the damn thing to choke, sputter and die. Today I was in the middle of a loooong steeeep climb and the damn thing stalled out.....Scared the hell out of me....Thought I was gonna tumble to the bottom.....Luckily a tree saved my ass. Could a bad fuel pump cause this? Or is it just time to rebuild the q-jet? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Anyone? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd guess you got a bad float...

Rene

4. Zeus33rd

Can a float wear out? What can go wrong with one? Other than the float level being out of wack of course. Excuse my ignorance on the subject....I just dont want to go through what happened to me today ever again. Thank god for the big ass pine tree that saved my ass from tumbleing down the side of a small mountain........ /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. clayoval

clayoval Registered Member

Oh my yes your floats do wear out and will also get pin holes in them and sink. If you were just turning on a flat surface left and right at high gs you could swapem around to keep it from stalling since they have a angle on one side it allows the bowl to hold more fuel on the side the fuel is picked up on but carbs are not my faveriot thing I leave them to others.

6. Zeus33rd

Hmm.........I suppose I'll head down and get a rebuild kit....Ugh, I hate rebuilding these things. Anyways......New floats don't come in rebuild kits......So where do I get one? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get the numbers off the driver side of the carb and take them to the local parts store to get the kit.

Tell them you want a new float for the carb and they will get you a separate box.

You may want to check into getting a new choke pull off valve if your carb has one.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Most of the kits I've seen come with new floats.
    Rebuilding a Q-jet is easy, just make a mental note of the linkage and positions before you take it apart.

Don't forget to epoxy the well-plugs.

web page <=these guys and the ones above 'em

9. Zeus33rd

Here are some pics of the hill that I stalled out on. Notice the tree that saved my ass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures do it no justice at all. Waaaaay steeper than it looks.

10. Zeus33rd

Had to special order the rebuild kit..$18.99. Carb is from a 76 buivk 455. They had the float in stock....$5.99. I guess I know what I'm doin this weekend.....LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif