Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

q-jet won't idle.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, May 6, 2003.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

q-jet won\'t idle.

I just had a quadrajet rebuilt and through it on and it won't idle. It will rev to about 2000 and then slowly make its way down to about 800 and then it revs back up. I will admit I don't know much about carbs so any info will help. I don't want to just start turning screws and completely screw it up. Also I am running a healty cam and wondered if vacum has anything to do with it. Thanks guys.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: q-jet won\'t idle.

with the air cleaner off start it up and cup your hands over the top of it if it Reeves up you have a vacuum leak if it dies you don't and need to look for other problems

3. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I'll try that first. Thanks for the info.

4. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Sometimes a rebuilt one will come with the mixture screws turned just about all the way out, like 12 turns, causing them to not want to idle at all, but rev up good. I would say a good starting point is to have them out about 1 1/2 turns each.