Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

q-jet

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Jul 25, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i got a renanufactures quadrajet from oreilly's and its leeking gas out of the passenger side by the rear 2 butterflies. any ideas. the truck has only been cranked for a total of maybe 10 minutes since this was put on. do you think this will seal up once it gets good and hot or is something wrong. it came with three gaskets. 1 metal, 1 fiber, i neoprene? with hard plastic spacers for the screws. i used the neoprene lokking one. the fiber on was two wide at one part. anyone have any ideas.

thanbks in advance

nathan

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you just got the carb and it is leaking, take it back and have them try again.

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

When trying to get one for a friends Camaro, we had the same problem 12 times! It's not an exageration, each time we got one, we bolted it on, and then sprayed starter fluid at the base of the carb. If the RMP increases, you have a carb with a warped plate. Take it back. Turns out that when they are remanufactured, they pull the old one apart and replace all of the internals with new stuff. What they don't do is check the plate for warpage. It's crap but it's how it goes.

I on the other hand, got one off of a van at a wrecking yard for my Blazer and first time was a charm. True luck I guess...

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i will take it back like all have suggested. i was warned about this. i just couldnt get my wife to let me the spend the extra dougjh for an edelbrock. thanks for the help

nathan

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

Just and FYI, I've had friends that have purchased eldebrock carbs and have gone back to the quadrajet. It's a great carb for all around driving and highly rated for 4x4's. There is new technology that is pretty impressive but the quadrajet has withstood the test of time and it has been my experience that reliability is worth something. Good luck!

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i'm gonna keep the q jet. thanks for the advice. i agree ther was a reason they used it so long. i dont rock climb anyway.

thanks

nathan