Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q jets or edelbrock, holley or other. Carb problems and questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Mar 5, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have 2 k5s with 2 305's and 2 q-jets. I bought the '85 6 years ago and have always been fighting with the carb. I bought my '84 in january and the everything is fine with it execept the front drivers side (alot of damage fender,hood and grille/radiator mount are screwed for good) makeing it illegal to drive so I figure I will switch the 84's carb to the 85 to get it running better for daily driving and take the 85's carb inside clean it up adjust it then put it on the '84 and make the final adjustments. I noticed they weren't quite the same when I opened both hoods but proceeded to take them off. When I tried to put the '84's on the '85's i ran into a problem and they are way different and wont interchange. Question is, 'What should I do?' I know all I have to do is adjust the 85's and put it on but i dont want to mess with it much longer and am getting sick of it. i am thinking of putting the '84's back on the '84 and just getting a new carb for the '85. My dad has told me forever and, I am seeing myself that the carbs from this time period were really good or really bad. Looks like i got a really good one and a really bad one. Anyway I am wondering what you would do. Would you rebuild the '85's q-jet get a edelbrock, holley or something else. I have an old carter (mopar) that I could make work for the 305 but I wouldn't want to put an old 440/6 carter carb on there. My budget is so tight it is cutting circulation off to parts of my body. Rebuild would be cheaper but new would be easier. I'll get some pictures of the carbs. It would probably make things alot easier for you guys to help me if I did so, I will. What would you do?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I personally would rebuild your '85 carb. Yeah, it is more effort than a new one and may not even solve the problems, but it is the first step I would take. I have an 85 and didn't realize that the 84 and 85 models were different. Some people will probably also tell you to just ditch the carb and go with TBI. But, as you are on a budget, that isn't really practical. Not too mention, I spent some time this weekend on STEEP angles and never had a problem with the carb. One time I was at a 62 degree incline and 0 degree roll and it did fine (while they were getting the winch ready to pull me up out of the hole). The other time I was at a 55 degree incline with an 18 degree roll (not a good position in a large K5, let me tell you) and it never even hinted of cutting out.

I would stick with your 85 carb and try a rebuild first. If that doesn't work, then I would re-evaluate.

3. speed_deed

Thanks alot. Anyone else have an opinion?

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Sell the car and invest the money into the K5.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Get Doug Roe's book on Rochester Carbs and rebuild it yourself. The book is around $20 and rebuild kits are cheep.

6. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I had alot of problems with my 85 q-jet, it had some kind of half-a$$ed computer hookup from the factory. Some kind of early eprom I think, so I put an older "non-electric" one on and it works great.

7. speed_deed

I am talking about my k5's. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Thanks guys I did go to autozone lastnight and bought a rebuild kit. It only cost $19.99. Not much at all. I am gonna rebuild it later today.