Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Qestion about buying 73 75 blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Apr 19, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok, ive checkes out some 73-75 blazers ,,so far , they all had rust around the wheel whells, and rockes panels, i just wanted to know , where else do these trucks rust out at? Like the hidden places? Firewall? Cowl? Even in cali its hard to find one rust free. Are they all like that? :)

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i have two 74s and a 76. they all have rusted out fenders front and rear.they seem to rust out right behind the doors on the bottom from mud bild up.bottom of tailgate also. im in montana where rust isint as bad as others.

3. redwood

redwood Registered Member

doors and rear quarters on my 74. Also the front floor pan is starting to go, check under the carpet.Mine was "restored" a few years before I bought it. Now it looks like all the rest. Two trannies, 4 axles, numerous drive shafts, springs, shocks, wheels and tires later... It would have been WAY cheaper to buy one that had been built right to begin with and do the cosmetic stuff than the other way around.

4. redwood

redwood Registered Member

doors and rear quarters on my 74. Also the front floor pan is starting to go, check under the carpet.Mine was "restored" a few years before I bought it. Now it looks like all the rest. Two trannies, 4 axles, numerous drive shafts, springs, shocks, wheels and tires later... It would have been WAY cheaper to buy one that had been built right to begin with and do the cosmetic stuff than the other way around. Also check out body alignment and door jams. My doors dont line up and my door latch pins are tearing out of the door post from the frame flexing.

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

My 74 was rusted in the floor pan where it is pinch welded to the rocker, and also around the wheel openings. Otherwise it is really solid. Purchased in Southern California.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:thinking: :thinking: :thumb:

7. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

My truck was rusting under all that cool 1974 trim pieces that ran down the side of the truck. It is one area that is impossible to keep clean. It just traps the crud and holds it there. I had to rip those suckers off.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes--they ARE ALL like that!

At least here all the K5's have at least SOME rot!--I CA,I bet only the fenders and door bottoms get rusty after many years--here, 73-75 GM trucks can usually be lifted right off the frame without unbolting any body mounts!--and the frames look like barnacle encrusted battleships at the bottom of the ocean...my 74 K20 I'm cutting up has about 3 bolts that still have hex heads a wrench will grab--all the rest look like rivets.

.NO 73-75 K5 here is even close to rust free-if I do see one,its at a car show,and its by far the exception rather than the rule--even guys who are very anal about keeping their trucks in A1 shape have not been able to keep their trucks rot free without having to replace at least a rocker panel or door bottom,or fenders..usually the tubs rot right off the frame in 10 years or less here!

So be glad your in CA,where they are at least worth fixing!--I hope you find a good one,and enjoy your emission exempt K5 in the california sunshine!--best thing about the 73-75 k5's is the fully removeable top!.. :laugh:

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Actually the best thing about the 73-75's is that they are smog exempt, you can always make a half cab into a full convert.:cool1:

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my 73' has no major rust, only minor surface rust in a few spots. my front clip is orig. its a 91' clip. its a cali truck. :)

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:grin: :haha: :pimp: I was thinking the same thing. :waytogo:

Its the olny way to legally get a BBC in one here. (ca) this is what needs to done. :waytogo: :thumb:

THANKS ALL

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

hi pinion...does 75 and earlier have to be smogged when it changes ownership? I heard that, don't know if its true. Probably get something older myslef in a couple years.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

common man,put you avitar back! I almost diddnt recognise you. :D

Um, to my knowlegde its 75 and under. Thats the rule, if you change ownership or not. Just get a 74 and you wont have to worry, i would have had my chit built and running by now if werent for these rules. WITH a BBC. :)

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

also, why is it seeming like the first gens have less rust on them thank the sec gen 75-73s? Is it just me or what?

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No,its not just you!!

I've seen the few remaining first generation GM trucks here that have less rust than the 73-87 years,the noses on the 67-72 trucks seem to never rust compared to the newer ones--I think the body style,and the type of steel they used is the culprit,the rounded wheelwells seem to not rust out like the flatter ones on the later trucks--even the doors seem to last longer on the 67-72's.

.I saw pictures from GM's plant in detriot my friends uncle worked at in 1973,where they stamped the body panels--in the basement of the building a huge coils of steel sheet metal would thread thru the ceiling and into the huge dies and presses on the upper floors that made the doors,bedsides,and hoods and fenders--he showed me a picture of the rolls of steel half submerged underwater,in the cellar of the factory,covered in rust--before it was ever a body part!--and he said GM started using recycled steel then rather than virgin steel,that alone makes it more prone to rust...

I remember taking a girl to the drive in movies in her dads 75 Chevy pickup in 1977--it was so rotted already by then,he had to duct tape the tailights to the bed to hold them in!--all the screw tabs were GONE! :screwy:

Its true--they "Dont make 'em like they used too".. :crazy:

16. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

The last two 73 to 75 Blazer/Jimmy’s that I have bought here in San Diego have had absolutely no rust. They are out there, you just have to look and pay up a little. You should have bought the 75 Jimmy I just sold for $3300.00.

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i almost did . I diddnt think you would get that sold so fast.