Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QJET: float level adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jun 18, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I have a Rochester Qjet that appears to be in good condition, but I can't remember where I got it, or what kind of vehicle it may be off of. I would like to rebuild it, and use it on my mildly built 489 bbc stroker engine.

At what height should I initially (and hopefully the last time) set my float height dimension? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Keep in mind this is a new engine, and I don't want to be messing around with keeping it running and pissing around with fuel delivery problems, especially during my initial break-in period. Thanks!

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The Float level, drop etc, will all be in the Direction's contained in the rebuild kit.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I got a rebuild kit and Im pretty sure that it had no directions in it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am trying to find a book on Q-jets, the most widely produced carb of all time...I think...and I can't find one at the book store or auto parts store /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Guess I'll have to buy online and wait for it

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You only ned one book: Rochester Carburetor's, by Doug Roe, it has everything You will ever need to know about any Rochester 1bbl, 2bbl, 4bbl, Quadrajet, Carb's ever produced. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Mike, There should be a small cardboard template and instructions with the kit. If not you should get these from the parts store (have'em open another kit or go somewhere else and get a better kit). I've had the best luck with the rebuild kits from Sorensen which I last got at a NAPA store. As for the initial breakin of your engine, just got done doing that. I pulled the carb off my 402 and put on my 461 to do the start-up just because of the reason you listed. Good luck.