Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Qjet identification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Sep 17, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Went to the salvage yard today and found two Qjets that might be a good rebuildable carb but don't know whick would be the better option. One I found on a GMC 6000 whick looked to have a BBC, the truck was a 74-75 model but I couldn't see well enough to get the numbers off the carb. The second was on a 78 big10 with the carb numbers 17084226 and next to that number was 1914 HCD. From what I can find online the big10 carb is an 85 model but what CFM would it be? It also had a electric choke where the one on the GMC6000 was a manual choke. Am I correct that like most aftermarket carbs you can add an electric choke to the carb as a bolt-on? At $75 which would most likely be the best to get?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Auto Zone sells reman Q-jet carbs for around $100-150 depending on what model you get... I have used them in the past with good luck.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Really? I may have to look into that then. I was bugeting about $150 for the purchase and rebuild, but getting "off the shelf" so to speak would be a lot easier than hunting throught the yards.

4. Emmettology 101

My last one(about two years ago) was a manual choke model and was around $116..

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Do you recall a part number? I just checked their site and by putting in the vehicle infor the only three listings were $199 and up but none specified as rebuilt. I guess I need to call the store and see what price they give me.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally I wouldn't pay $75 for an unknown quality used q-jet. Swap meets I wouldn't pay any more than $5 for them. (and I have a huge pile of them now)

Did this a long time ago as an ID guide:

750 vs 800 CFM

Some Q-jets will not easily fit the stock electric choke.

I wouldn't go looking for the 800CFM variant unless you need that much...the larger size is made up in the primary venturi's which isn't necessarily a good thing. 800's are real common on the early 80's 305 trucks.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey that helps a lot. I am actually looking for a 750cfm version.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well I just check with the local autozone and they don't carry a rebuilt quadrajt for my year and engine. So I guess it is back to my origional question, what do I need to look for and approximate price to pay. I would prefer a 750cfm with electric choke. Are there any years to avoid or will they all work?

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

ever hear of BONES CONSTRUCTION?? there out of texas,they are working here in MICHIGAN and will be heading back next week.if they are close enough to you city i'll send two q-jets back with them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif one's of a 86 ,the other i don't know. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Never heard of them. Do you know what city they are from? I have family around the state so maybe I could arrange pickup if I knew where they are from or their route back. That would be great. If not maybe we could work out a shipping arrangement through UPS or something. Thanks a lot! I must say this is the most friendly family like forum I have ever been on.

11. boggerless

i have to work tommorow so i can get the address.they are pretty cool guys so maybe some one is close enough to get them to you. i'll tell you tommorow if thats not to late? by the way i asked them (is it required in texas to have the biggest front bumper known to man)???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif every truck that comes in from TEXAS has a bumper big enough to nock a jeep outta the way. daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey that would be great I'm not in a big hurry or anything right now. I'm in Lubbock, they should know where it is and if it would be close. Or my folks like in the Austin area. If it won't work just check the shipping on the UPS site to zip 79414, I would gladly pay shipping. They're what about 15lbs each? Just let me know. At this point I am trying to gather parts, and do the rebuild and prep work so I can attack the truck with as many parts as possible at one time. Or have them installed in the autoshop at my college by one of the classes. It might be several weeks before I get to install one but when I do I have a Holly 600cfm 4160 coming off. I have a rebuild kit for it as well. If you would have a use for it we could consider it a trade. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

edit: Forgot to answer your question YES! rairoad train cowcatcher bumpers are required to enter the state /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Actually let me guess, most of the truck you are seeing are probably Chevy diesels, CTDs and Powerstrokes right? That seems to be the most popular style around here to put the huge bumper/grill guards on. Especially in the rural areas the "Ranch Hand" style is very popular.

13. boggerless

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifyea' they are mostly deisels. i knew i was right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif anyway don't worry about a trade,lets see where these guys are and you'll get the carbs.maybe one day i'll come to TEXAS and you can show me around? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthe closest if been is OKLAHOMA. that would be enough for me. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. boggerless

they said they would take e'm for you,but they are on the horth east side of houston. is that cool?let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well it is about 9 hours away so UPS would probably be the best bet. I'll pay shipping cost just let me know how much it will be. You can check price on ups.com to zip 79414. Once you got a price shoot me an email or post here with the price and your address and I'll get a money order to you. I get paid at the end of this week and can send payment then. Thanks a lot for the help.

16. boggerless

9 hours /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif wow itold him it was AUSTIN or LUBUCK, i did not know it was that far? sorry,we'll use UPS. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well my folks live in Austin which is 2-3 hours north of Houston on I-35 and they would probably pass right through but I just found out today that they are on vacation so that is out. The big brown truck will be best.

18. boggerless

it's cool. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. Emmettology 101

Dont remember a part number. Just asked for a reman q-jet for a mid 70's big block... Or even a late 60's Pntiac with a 455. But those wont have elec choke.

20. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey Boggerless any word on shipping costs? And an address to send the money order to. You can e-mail me if you want at davismonty@nts-online.net thanks a lot.