Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

qjet question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Apr 11, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 k5 with a 305.

My quadrajet is fubar'ed where the fuel line connects. The fitting is actually jb welded in place :crazy:.

Anyways, I got another qjet. However, on the "new" one, the throttle plate is froze up and the piece that holds the roll pin for the accelorater pump lever is broken.

What im wondering is if i can use the bottom and top pieces from my old carb and the center section of the "new carb" and make one good carb.

I guess what I would do is to use needle and seat and stuff from my carb.

Any thoughts on this?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Probably* won't work. There are many variations of the Q-jet, even the same year different application likely has a different airhorn and bowl.

Only way to know is to pop the two apart, and compare the passages and gaskets.

I've torn apart my fair share of these things, enough to know they are more often different than identical. You may get lucky, but I doubt it.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If they are numbers matching carbs, no problem. Otherwise, there's likly differences.

4. hunterguy86

So im guessing my best bet is to go to a junk yard and get another carb and rebuild it.

I cant afford to buy a new one.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the only problem is the fuel line fitting, I believe there is a repair kit for that, where you tap the hole a slightly larger size or something. It is a fairly common problem.

6. hunterguy86

Well this is what happened. The hard line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb cracked. The fuel line fitting froze into the fitting on the carb, so the carb fitting was eplaced with a replacement part. The problem is, the threads stripped in the carb so the fitting was JB welded into place. It was kind of an emergency patch that has kinda stuck.

I need to take care of this issue.

Im thinkin the best bet is just to replace the carb.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

repair fitting...

As long as the casting where the stripped fuel inlet nut screws into isn't cracked,you can buy a fitting that uses "O" rings and expands to seal the fitting,not the threads in the carb,and "save" it!....sounds like someone already used the other style "self tapping" fitting,that often strips it beyond hope,or cracks the carb there...

Other than that,I'd say its time to go carb shopping at the boneyard..too many variations in carbs from year to year..hell,I've had plenty of carbs that just had the WRONG top bowl gasket installed during a rebuild that caused all kinds of greif!...they usually give two or three different ones of those gaskets in carb "jiffy" kits,but neglect to tell you how to make sure the RIGHT one you need is used!..

I go by the old gasket I'm replacing,but I have ended up copying the previous rebuilders mistake ,and had to go back and try the other one before I found the "right" one..often only one hole is omitted,or something is blocked by one gasket,and open with the other..but it makes a huge difference in how it runs!..:crazy: