Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QJet question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Feb 14, 2007.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Found a blazer missing distributor and carb, have a friends qjet. seems most people like them for wheeling. Who does a decent job rebuilding them? And if the carb ran fairly well to begin with, and its put on this other blazer (also came off a blazer) should it run fairly well? Eventually I'd like to propane it and then it would beat efi by quite a lot (from what I've heard). I don't know enough about carbs to do a lot of tuning, but just need to get it to run for a while on an easy drive to get it up to OK, not romping the gas or anything.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If the blazer it came off of and the blazer its going on have the same displacement engine, you will probably not have to tune it at all. What year Q-jet? If you don't know, find the casting number on the carb and search on the internet.

BTW propane runs as good 4 wheeling as EFI, not better. If you are not making too much power and you are ok with finding propane, that's a good way to go.

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Propane is easy for me to find. And yes it's a 350 on both. Thanks so much!

Someone told me that if the gas in the tank moves away from the pickup it just sucks air, where as the propaine is a constant pressure at any angle.

Anyway thanks again! That's the answer I wanted to hear. I do know the carb needs to be rebuilt at some point, which brings me to the next question, who does them good and cheap?

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do them good and cheap.:D seriously, have you considered doing it yourself? I talked to a bunch of people about it cause mine was bad and all of them told me to just buy a new one and dont even think about trying to rebuild.

honestly it was one of the easiest carbs I have ever rebuilt and at the time it was the only one. since then Ive done at least a dozen and all of them did great till I sucked em full of crud.:D long story but it involved a bad gas tank, like 15 new filters, and 2 carbs. the rest of them I did for friends and they have had no problems. its really not that hard to do it yourself, just takes a little time.

If you decide to do it yourself just take your time and do a good job cleaning. also might want to grab a straight edge and make sure that it is not warped. some people like to tighten them down too much and warp the housings.

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2, and maybe buy one of these...[​IMG]

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

While that is true, your motor will run at extreme angles for much longer than you think. Most of the competition buggies run EFI and if there were any angle performance advantage they would use it.

Don't get me wrong, propane is not a bad way to go. But how long do you think your motor will hold oil pressure at angles that EFI has trouble with?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Q-jets have a pretty good sized float/fuel bowl. They will run for a fair amount with low engine demand without ANY fuel from the gas tank. Think of the fuel bowl in the carb as a tiny fuel reserve. At extreme angles it will go "dry" faster, (due to the positioning of the fuel delivery holes, or "jets") but as mentioned, oil pressure would likely be a problem at the same time.