Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Qjet tune up or swap??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafterman191, Oct 4, 2006.

1. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

I have a Rochester Qjet stock on my 305 SBC. All pollution and smog junk has been removed from the engine. I tried adjusting it turning the jets all the way in (clockwise) and then backing them out until idle "sounded" good. It is running OK, I just think it could be better. Anyone got a remedy for one of these? Seems like when the tranny goes into 2nd gear, it wants to bog/loose power.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Those are your idle circuits, shouldn't be affecting upper rpm's..

Be very careful adjusting those, the slightest bit of over pressure when closing them, and you'll ruin the seats.. They are supposed to be 2 turns out...

The "bogging" could be many things... crud in the bowl, etc, etc.. Might wanna pick up Doug Roe's book on Rochesters, it is the Bible for them...

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the bogging could be from the secondaries opening too soon. thats what caused it on mine.

4. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

Thanks, I have really not had the time to get into tuning the secondaries. This thing probably needs to be rebuilt. I was adjusting the "screws" that require the double "d" head at the base of the carb on each side facing the front of my K5. Turned them all the way in. Engine would not start obviously. Turned them out about 2 turns, that is what I had heard before. After about 2 turns, the engine was running better, but seemed to open wide with little pressure on the gas peddle. I guess a good book is in what it is going to take.