Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QLogic Kick Panels

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bluehen, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,
    I am having a heck of a time finding the QLogic kick panels for my 87 K5. Any hints on where to go. I searched this board over and don't even see recent posts on it. Any help is appreciated.

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

sounddomain.com

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I ordered mine through my local stereo shop... wasn't cheap either. Then I realized they were for 6" speakers and not 6.5" speakers, so I made my MB Qs fit :D

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I ordered mine from Crutchfield. I have no idea how they compare in price to anywhere else, but I know they have them. I love 'em too! I thought they would take a beating being down there, but haven't had any trouble with them at all yet.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

LMC carries them

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I broke off my speaker grill on the drivers side with my e-brake

7. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys!
    I've seen that LMC has the kick panel speaker enclosure, but it looked like they will only ship them loaded. I have the Alpine SPS-171A's. the listed mounting diameter is 5-7/16" I think I'll be able to fit them in just fine. Just need to get a hold of the kick panels. Thanks for the help. Now I need to do some pricing.[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]

8. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure the LMC ones are different from the QLogic panels. They aim the speakers at your feet, instead of up at you like the Q's... You will need to bend your e-brake pedal a little bit to clear the panels. Mine has never hit and I use it all the time...

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i got mine from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32818&item=5700191120&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

i think this is the same guy, you bid on universal set. but you look up which vehicle you want it for and what color. 100+shipping.

i had the same problem that eclipse had, tried to put 6.5's in there, they are designed for 5.75 components. i made mine fit but it was tight as hell. if i did it again i would use 5.75 .sounds like thats what you've got so you should be good.

the LMC ones are junk. way too much money and you get their crappy speaker.
    they dont angle towards passengers like the qlogic ones do.if i remember correctly, they arent for components either.

the ebrake does get pretty close to the grill.thats the only thing i dont like about em. gotta make sure its adjusted and tight so it only goes down a couple clicks, then theres no problem.

10. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jonny!
    That looks like the way to go. I'll be ordering them this week.

11. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

Any one know if the q logic pods will fit a 1975 blazer. The website for q logic 78-91, but the lmc will work all the way back to 73 it says. :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

no problem. :thumb:

pods? you mean the kick panels? or something else. i would think the kick panels would still work. even if the are different, its probly not by much and u could modify em.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

They fit fine, just seal off the floor vent doors. That's why they're not listed for the older K5's.

14. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

kick enclosures aren't very difficult to make, particularly when you have so much room to spare.

lil fiberglass, some MDF rings... few hours of your time, and viola - gr8 music :)

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

hmm, few hrs of my time(more like a day)+materials+possibly coming out crappy(most likely)... makes the 100$ to get a factory made colormatched product sound cheap. but thats just me.

i guess if you have good 'glass skills and lots of spare time/no cash it would make sense

16. Spkrman

honestly I'd just throw the mids in the doors and aim the tweets wherever is needed.

The mids aren't quite as important to aim - but I suppose if you are an SQ nut kicks are the only way to go... but if you are an SQ nut - prefab kicks wouldnt be an option, they might be .01 degree off perfect :)

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Putting speakers in the doors kinda sucks. Metal's fairly thick, awkward location to work in, depth-limited due to the glass, location-limited if you've got power windows, blah blah blah.

18. Spkrman

lower front door should be fine, and anything without a stupid big depth should be just gravy with an MDF mounting ring, which you would need either way to get a solid mount for the speaker.

The metal won't make noise if its dynamatted, a big + anyway.

The doors are just so easy to mod/work on that its hard to pass em up - particularly for mid bass duties, mid range/tweet you may want to aim and mount in a dif spot for optimal SQ.

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

so cut holes in the otherwise perfectly good doors, dynamat them,run wire thru the doorjamb,and still wont sound as good as kickpanels. or spend 100bucks and have cool custom looking speaker pods that just screw into the factory holes.

personally i think the door location works for alot of people. but cant hold a candle to kick panels. im thinking about adding midbass speakers to my system , but thinking custom box under the dash ontop of tranny hump. that way a can make it sealed alot easier and wont ruin my doors.

20. Spkrman

You can also do a door buildout, since the doors are pretty flat.

Kicks don't give a great advantage unless they are meticulisly aimed and crafted for the specific acoustics of the drivers and the environment.

And with EQ work... once you match the levels on the 2 sides then you are about 75% there.

Of course this is advanced SQ, properly executed, nearly any location can sound good :)