Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q's about installing headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

So im finally installing my new heddman heders tomorrow on my 89 tbi 355:eek1: my question is what all will i need to do to install these and run them? I already took off my 3" Y pipe single line exhaust for the tranny install that i did. I have a new dual exhaust system from my friends 84 blazer pretty much straight pipes to about the rear axle with bottles on them (I would put tailpipes on to run them out the back sides). By the way the dual pipes were made for when he ran manifolds on his blazer. So i know about the O2 senser and how i have to drill and weld a nut to the bottom of the heder collector pipe for it. Also ill have to buy new spark cap boots or i wonder if i could just use the distrubiter side of them a 90 angle boot?:confused: But sertianly my biggest concern is my brackets on the front of the motor around my power steering pump and alternator and how the hedder flange will be different mounting surface compared to the manifolds as the bracket will want to bolt onto the first 2 exhaust bolts on the front driverside but are spaced out to fit the manifolds and not the hedders.
    Thanks for any help given:crazy:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Which ones are you using, the elites?

69890 is the part number that I recall mine being.

These are just a collection of pics from my engine/TPI install, but the headers went on at the same time, and there is at least one that deals with the power steering pump/loss of exhaust manifold issue.

http://dyeager535.topcities.com/TPI/index.html

That little tubular piece can be bought from the header companies, but since I like to roam the wrecking yards, many trucks (not sure about S10's/Astros) that had the 4.3 had a drivers side only header, and used that spacer. Stock it was tack welded to the header, but the one I got was already broken free, so I used it. Perfect fit. Stock bolt either from the manifold that was on my truck, or the donor 4.3 vehicle.

3. George_Pimpdaddy

cool thanks for the info so i could probaly use some kinda spacer then like the crossmember spacer ?

4. George_Pimpdaddy

would say a bracket off of an 84-85 350 work better for me? or are there any difference in the manifold mounts?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There were different setups based on the steering pump, AC or not, etc. Have to be careful with this, I don't believe any mix and match is possible, all the bracketry has to fit the pump.

You have to be careful with the spacer, looking at the pic I posted, it needs to be thin-walled enough to clear that primary tube. I tried using a spacer first from a hardware store, but even after tack welding the seam, it split.