Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q's about this charger in particular thanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Feb 18, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Q\'s about this charger in particular thanks

http://www.erabat.nu/Everstart+100+Battery+Charger_931537.html

and

http://www.trendygalaxy.com/home_decor/hardware/automotive/everstart_100_battery_1.html

does the charger stop charging when it senses that the battery you are charging is at full charge, or does it not even sense for when a battery is fully charged and will just keep on charging it ?

it has a guage and needle and reads from 0 to 100 and when its at 100 the green full charge light comes on and sometimes the needle will sway back and forth at about one second intervals

what does that mean ? fully charged ?? no ?

we have one of these chargers here and i just want to make sure am using it correctly, i dunno

thanks for anything

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Q\'s about this charger in particular thanks

I got a charger for my birthday that is essentially the same as that one. As a matter of fact, it probably IS that one, with a different sticker on the case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, he was telling me that it wasn't designed to be left on all the time, like some are. That 2amp trickle charge is still too much for a fully charged battery apparently.

I'm no electrical genious thats for sure, but it makes sense to me. FWIW he has one that CAN be left on the battery, but it also won't start charging a battery that is "too" discharged, as it needs SOME voltage to know it's hooked up. The one you and I have shouldn't have that problem, as it "forces" a charge all the time.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so these things will charge and charge and never stop no matter if power and full charge lights are on or off ? or ? power is orange and full charge is green, if green is on then it will keep charging anyways ? or ?

thanks

4. dyeager535

I don't quite understand the mechanics of it, but in essence, a true trickle charger will "shut off" and restart on it's own when the battery is fully charged.

For some reason, these chargers don't "shut off".

Maybe someone else can explain how this works, if it even happens this way.

5. tlbob

tlbob Registered Member

if it is a fully automatic charger it does stop charging when the battery is at full charge but it does not shut off it will moniter voltage if the voltage drops from peak potential it willl continue to charge the reason why the needle is "bouncing" is because the charger is senseing that the battery is at peak voltage and turning off but then it is sensing a drop in voltage so it is turning back on and begins to charge agin if the battery has a bad cell the charger will do this rapidly but it sounds like you are using properly so hope this helps and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. dyeager535

I Love this magazine

I think they may have ahd a more in depth article than that one, but hey, it's a start.

The trickle charger they are talking about is NOT what we have, as I understand it.

Does that Schumacher in the article look like yours? Looks identical to the everstart to me, with a different sticker. That's what I've got. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif