Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Q's about your tire grooving...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by shaggyk5, Oct 13, 2001.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Q\'s about your tire grooving...

Ive got a set of 35x15 tsl's on the way, and I've been tossing the idea around of doing some siping/grooving on them. Im pretty much already sure im going to sipe the outer lugs for some better wet pavement action, and on the inner lugs i was looking at some grooving. Ive studied the cuts you made to yours, and that design seems (to me, at least) to give the best combo of additional foward and lateral tracion. I was just wondering, if you were going to do it again, is there anything (pattern-wise) that you would have done differently? Any suggestions?

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Q\'s about your tire grooving...

I've been pretty happy with the tires as they are. I might go through and make a cut across some of the outer chunks, but without breaking through to the outside edge. Any break in the tread on the outside is going to see a lot of abuse so they need to have some beef to them. There isn't much to do to a swamper for wet traction beyond siping. (siping defined as cuts with no material removed) Be careful not to put any kind of cut within about 1/2" of any tread edge, they tend to lose chunks if you get too close. I siped a set of TSL's before these and thought they did about as good as could be expected in snow, ice and wet rock.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

thanks man. I know im going to take a major hit in the way of wet traction, and winter does get icy around here, so siping was definately in the plans no matter what else i do.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One thing that I've found makes a big difference is rear weight. A K5 with nothing in the rear is a really short pickup and trucks suck when it gets slick. pile a bunch of heavy stuff in the rear and it'll help out a lot. Our snow plow truck carries a 4x6 sheet of 3/4" plate sometimes in the winter. That'll keep it anchored!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>