Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quad Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by patches85, Sep 11, 2005.

1. patches85

patches85 Registered Member

What kind of quads and what type of motor oil do you guys use in them? I just bought a 400ex and want to know what kind of oil to put in it. I remember someone telling me something about the clutches in quads and some oil not being good for them.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have had honda for years. ran castol oil in all of them no problems. and one of them is 4x4 with snow plow . it gets used hard and still no problems.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well u dont use motor oil in them, go back to where you bought it and get some gear oil made for atvs and dirtbikes. using motor oil will make your clutch slip and wear out real fast

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If I recall correctly, the drivetrain in quads is very similar to motorcycles.

If it has a wet clutch, you have to use oil that doesn't have the "energy conserving" line on it. "Energy conserving" oil will make the clutch slip.
    Also, you should consider using full synthetic, or changing the oil every 1000 miles (I don't know if quads guage by mileage or hours, or if the rougher service than street means you should change it more often). The oil is run through the tranny also, so it's life is pretty dramatically reduced by that.

Read this article:
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I posted about it here last week:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148259

Congrats on the new quad!

5. NEVERENOUGH

NEVERENOUGH Registered Member

I have several quads 1 of them being a 400ex and use the honda oil. I agree with the others that regular motor oil is a bad idea. You can order some great oil from Rocky Mountain Atv if you are not close to a dealer.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After working at a Honda dealership and seeing what happens when you DON'T use the correct oil, I can't suggest using anything other than genuine Honda products.

Not to mention the bill.... :doah:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

o.k. then guess my bike is tost. thats news to me. its a 92 model year and had nothing done to it . had factory oil till first change. then regular. and it get the crap beat out of it plowing every winter.

its your bike do what you want. the info was just my opinon and thats all. good luck.

8. patches85

patches85 Registered Member

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]Well I have had a 250r (stupid fast quad!), a 250x, and a banshee and I ran Castrol Syntech in all of them. Never had any problems but I wanted some input on this new quad. The guy I bought it off of said he always used Hondalube.[/COLOR]