Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quad shock set up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2L Jimmy, May 29, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi Everyone,

Would anyone have a diagram with the set up for quad shocks up front (G.M). Actually all I really need is the amount of bolts,washers and nuts that I will need fo install the brackets. Also the length of the bolts too. Thanks in advance to you all.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

stock or after market?
    I have a Rancho dual shock kit for sale.

3. 6.2L Jimmy

Thanks for the reply but I have tHe brackets and shocks just need the bolts. My stuff is factory G.M.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you dead set on putting these on?

I was, and I don't necessarily regret it, but I think they are pretty pointless. I'm not questioning your motive, but if you are only thinking of doing it, not dead set, I think perhaps you should reconsider.

IIRC, I used 4 grade 8 half inch bolts, perhaps 1.5" long, with lockwashers and washers for each bolt, for the bracket to frame....factory was riveted I'm sure.

Theres a spacer for the longer(?) shock on either side as well, that the bolt passes through. The bottom end of the shocks go to the same long bolt, which as I recall, is also held on with just a washer, lockwasher, and nut. Maybe grade 8, but mine are factory, and I'm thinking grade 5's stock. In any case, both of them are now visibly bent, (from my usage??) and I wouldn't doubt it if the extra leverage of the added shock (it's bolted outside the lower bracket) doesn't contribute to busting the axle shock mount right off the tube.

Not where I can check the truck out right now, but there are probably others that can for you....

5. 6.2L Jimmy

Hey thanks for the reply Dorian,

Thanks for the specifics and yes I am going to give them a try-out ...I just received them in last night all brand new from the "General" so I guess I gotta try em out. I figured by installing them I would get a lot less nose dive when driving in the city. I unfortunatly live in the Province of quebec ( the pot-hole capital of the world) and some times ya just get engulfed by one (yes even fullsize ) . It is sad that the damned politicians here invest so much $$$$$ in trying to seperate from a Country to become a distinct society (more like an extinct society if they ever succeed) that they dont have extra $$ to fix their roads..
    I mean really ,it's sich here the way they run things. You can literally close your eyes while you are a passenger in a car and know when you have entered the next province (Ontario). Anyways a little off the point here and thanks again for the response.
    Mike

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you need me to run down to my truck to look at anything specific, let me know, I will.

If you have that much problems with potholes, they very well may be a good idea, although as others have suggested (now that I've already done the swap/bought the shocks and am running them) that newer good quality single shocks are probably more effective than the old dual setup.

Make sure whatever shocks you buy have the inner metal sleeve (inside the lower rubber bushing) that is the right thickness. My cheapy Monroes didn't, and the metal sleeve allowed the shock to shift when turning and hitting a bump, resulting in a nasty "axle is gonna fall off" noise.

7. 6.2L Jimmy

Thanks again Dorian. I will let ya know if I need more info.
    Mike