Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quad Shocks on single Shock Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jun 13, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 Blazer with single shocks on each side on the front. I have found the brackets for a quad shock truck at a cheap price - I know these brackets will mount on the frame easily but will the single shock axle also accept the extra shock on each side or did the quad shock option have a special mount on the axle?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think they just used a longer bolt at the bottom mounting bracket so that both shocks were on the one long bolt. There might be a spacer involved also.

The real question is, do you need quad shocks? They'll make your truck ride stiffer. They're good for high-speed desert running, since they won't fade as quickly as a single shock. But unless you can find shocks that are valved lighter for the quad setup, they aren't too impressive for most other types of driving.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I think you should get dual quads for each side ! hehe Just get a top of the line bilstein-rebuildable-lifetime warranty-extra resorvoir shock. You will be happy.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

get 4 shocks on each side and have them chromed too, this helps performance. Also make sure you get the brightest boots on them so they'll trap all that water and properly hydrolube your shocks.

Just kidding, quad shocks suck, they ride rough, they inhibit wheel travel, ect. Unless you have specially valved blistens or fox shocks that is, but that's for people with DEEP pockets!

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you need a longer bolt for the bottom mount. Where the single shock bolts into that mount, you will need to put a spacer in there and mount the shocks on the outside part of the mount. Get it? If not, I will take a picture of the set up from a truck I used to own.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

6. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Hm. I'll be going to dual shocks on the front of my Blazer too. So just longer bolts top and bottom with a few spacers? I thought the factory dual shock kit had another bracket that bolted to the frame. Right now, at the frame end, it's a double shear mount, and I'd think that mounting another shock outside that would be fine, but if the factory used a second bracket to double shear both shocks at the frame mount, then I'll do the same.

--Rob

7. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have found all the parts I need for the quad shock modification in the LMC Truck catalog - the brackets are about $20 each plus they have all the required nuts and bolts. I just need verification my factory single shock setup can be modified.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think they did add another bracket at the top, but not at the bottom.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

dual shocks are excellent if you like the articulation of a corvette!