Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quad shocks ..removing one

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Sep 10, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I checked all post and I want to know which mounting point would be the factory set up for single shocks. front or back I want to improve the ride of my k-5 and all posts tell me to pull one off but I want to pull off the added shock and keep the stock single set up brackets.any help is greatly appreciated.........

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

short one is the additional "quad shock" Believe that would make the bracket you don't use the rear one.

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Ive gone through all posts and everyone has a diffent answer for which one to take off. I use my k-5 for work so I am driving highway 80% of the time .I am looking for a smoother ride .Does it make a difference as to which one comes off?? thanks for any help.........

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i pulled off the one that mounts lower on the frame (front/back i don't know) it's the short one that i removed and everything's peachy.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My thinking would be if you flex any, the longer shock would be the one to keep. (more travel you'd think)

The angled ones would control the axle better if you were beating on the truck (which is why the rears are staggered and angled) but in actual shock absorbtion, the taller, more straight up and down shock will work better.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

All the single shock trucks I've seen have the rear shock, and not the more upright one. I have only the rear shock on mine. I did it this way because the way the shock mount is, the upper shock just kind of hangs off the side.

7. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

This morning I pulled off the two forward shocks and drove my truck to work and HOLY SH*T what a difference it feels totally different than before it is much more forgiving on the lower back ..But I did notice that around sharp bends that the truck has a little more body roll but not bad. I will definetly run it like this for a while.thanks for all the help ...........

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Not so much work....

I hear you can just drill a hole in 1 shock on each side and it will work just the same?

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Not so much work....

LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif that's because that shock that you drilled wouldn't be doing anything.