Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quad shocks up front or just two?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 10, 2006.

?

you should run

1. dual shocks up front.

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. single shocks up front.

49 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i'm hoping to install new shocks tomorrow on my project - but i can't decide what to do. i've heard it recommended to just run single sets of shocks instead of duals on each side - but i don't know any reason for this. anyway, it'll be under a 6.2 in a k5. thanks.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I don't know the benefits of running dual shocks, I do know that most K5's I have seen that wheel only have one shock per side.....

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

one shock per corner with the correct valving is the way to go performance wise unless you want the more shocks then teeth look

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

depends on how much you like your kidneys. My brother has a 1973 bronco and had dual shocks on the back and greatly contributed to the truck living up to its name, that rear end was so stiff it would launch every time you hit a pothole or a speed bump. we took off one shock from each side and its been much easier to deal with as a DD. now if youre gonna be carrying alot of heavy cargo, i could see the twin shock setup, but even for off roading i think that stiff twin setup would be a negative characteristic. but im not an avid off roader so wait for someone with more experience to comment on that. Personally id invest in a set of good shocks and run them one shock per wheel.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It really depends on how much unsprung weight you have. I have a D60 with 40x19 Boggers (160lb. each with rim), and it really helps to have dual Rancho 5000s on both front corners. I've had 35s on it and it was way to stiff.

It will also help tons if you do long trail runs at speed (anything faster than running speed) where the shocks tend to overheat and fade. That's why racers run multi- or remote reservoir shocks.

6. colbystephens

cool. i'll run single shocks. i just wondered because the stock setup was duals up front. i like the idea of spending less. thanks for saving me the cash.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if its a show truck, buy a new tower and run 3 on each tire:p: . these things were made back when shocks werent that great. with the technology now, 1 shock is far superior to dual shocks from the past.

8. colbystephens

this is definitely not a show truck. first - the idea of that makes my stomach turn, and second, even if the idea of it didn't make me sick - just look at the pics of my rig on my webpage. :) it'll look a hell of a lot better than that when i'm done, but still - i hate show trucks. :D anyway, point taken. ;) thanks for the info on the difference in shock technology between now and then - hadn't really occurred to me since the idea of a shock is pretty basic..

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I'd much rather have a nice shock (lets say, a $100/shock like the BBCS15) than two $50 shocks. If the valving is right and the shock is of good quality, you'll be fine. Dual shocks were used on factory rigs back in the day because shock tech pretty much sucked. Thanks to monster trucks and various kinds of racing, its a whole lot better now. For 99% of your trail rig drivers, one per wheel is plenty. If you like whoops and desert racing, two might last longer before they start to fade.

j

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have tryed both set ups on my K5. I like dual the best but I do a lot of high speed and long distance desert driving. And they work better on washboard roads without fading..
    Single works great for trails. Just make sure to get a shock made for single shock applications. Dont just take off one of the dual shocks.
    Same for dual shocks. The factory dual shock set up used shocks with valving set up to ride good in a dual set up. Putting 2 shocks per corner that are designed to be run as a single set up will make dual shock trucks ride very rough.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run duals because in mine the ride is better. Probably because I have cheap shocks, but that is the factory setup and I stayed with it after my lift.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not too many run multiple shocks anymore. Only two exceptions I can think of. One is when they're running both a coil-over and a by-pass. The other is when stuff interfers with putting a large enough OD shock on the truck, but two smaller OD shocks will fit.

Footnote; I've been reading that the H2 racing BitD has 3.0" front shock and their shock oil temps are so high that they're looking at going to a 4.0" OD shock body.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i run single $15 gabriels, they ride real good, considering its sfa

14. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

im with you, im not building my rig to be a caddilac. if it wasnt for the fact that it will see the highway, i probably wouldnt run shocks period. cheap=on the trail vs. workin' overtime to afford expensive parts.

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Single shocks, but run good ones - don't chintz.

16. colbystephens

i thought this thread was dead 2 1/2 months ago.

17. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

perhaps it was, but i was bored so i looked back. oh well,

18. colbystephens

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

4 shocks in the front=homoghey