Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quad Shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Nov 25, 2001.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I'm going to put a 4" lift on my 91, I have the stock quad shocks up front. Should I scrap them and go to a single, or keep them. All the kits I've looked at that come with shocks only give you 4. Any suggestions? If I go with a 6" will I have to lengthen the drive shafts.

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My truck had adapters to install 8 shocks, when I put a used 4" lift on my 77 I just bought the 8 shocks seperate. People seem to be saying that the extra shocks make for a rougher ride. As for the 6" lift and extending the drive shaft I don't know.

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

uh, i lifted mine 4" (did not lower transfer case though) and had to get new drive shafts. so i would imagine the 6" would need new shafts.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Its up to you on the quad shocks. I didnt put the on the Jimmy because they hurt articulation a little. I have the quad shock setup (Ranch rs5000) on the Burb though because I tow with it and it helps out alot.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

JMT came with quad shocks up front, and I jerked those things as quickly as I could! if you need the setup that is one thing, but most people don't. you add more cost from the stand point of you gotta buy an extra 2 shocks, and then you gotta worry about getting the right shocks so it doesn't make your ride rougher.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Mine came with the 4 shock set-up up front also. I read a
    post about how smooth the ride is with out the extra 2
    shocks so I took 2 off. Way better. With a six in lift you
    may need an extended CV rr shaft. On the front you may
    run into a clearance prob with the exh crossover &amp; the
    front driveshaft.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you lift 4" you won't need drive shafts... probably need to drop the t-case if you get vibe... with 6" yeah you would need new drive shafts but you could also consider looking around the 4x4 sites and buying them used from someone. I see them for good prices all the time.... I have dual shocks on each side and they are definately something I hear enough complaining about with the ride from my passengers... but I like em so they stay... for now I am not doing anything where they hinder anything.... but just remember they are stiff and makes for big bumps... if you go this route you could get the adjustable shocks and that would help with the stiffness some too....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!