Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quad Shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Dec 12, 2001.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I just finished installing a set of 3/4 ton axles from a '73 burb in my '91 Jimmy. The D44 has the quad shock set up, but im only using one shock per side. Would it be worth puting the extra shock on each side, or just leave it one per side? Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using the setup?Thanks in advance!

Mud...

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Stiffer ride less flex.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Quad shocks are great if you do lots of high speed fire roads or desert running, where the suspension is working hard. But for most other uses, they just make the ride firmer.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Works great for towing also. I have the quad shocks on the burb, but not on the Jimmy because it limits flex.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

just did similar on my 91 1500.... had quads before.... was direct bolt up from 'axle perspective'....... and still rides like a lumber wagon! (quads on front only)......
    THinking of removing 2 of them and see what happens... Woudn't mind them on the rear and see what happens with towing... but think air-bags might be my better choice for towing.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Don't do any towing with my truck. Looks like ill just leave them single. I wouldnt want to sacrafice flex for road manners. Thanks for the help everyone!

Mud...

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Well, i'm 80% highway now.. about 15 % towing.. and when i get a chance ... off road... .
    Enjoyed dbls on my IH Scout.. but that was in the Rockies too!
    Let your use be your guide. Check out singles. If it's a tad lame, get the brackets and try duals...
    For primarily off road use, they'd probably be good! in my world they're not my cup of tea.. (at this time!.. subject to change!)