Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUAD SUSPENSION?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Nov 17, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I have a k5 Blazer with two shock absorbers in each front wheells.Is this the named "Quad suspension".Can i use the same kind of shock absorber for the inner and outer absorber?Thanks

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yes, you have the quad-shock front. You can't use the same shock for each of them, I don't think. They are both usually listed in parts catalogs as different shocks.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Thanks, i,m looking for some mark of absorber available here in Spain.Last day i was asking in a shop.They have Gabriel shock absorbers for all the Blazers except Quad suspension in his catalog.Exists in Usa this marks (Gabriel,Bilstein,De carbon etc? Does they have shock absorbers for the quad suspension?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Gabriel or bilstein should have a number for the duals, you might see if they can check again. Another thing you might consider is just using one shock. The only reason to have 2 shocks is for added fade resistance for running on rough roads for long periods of time, or to get extra stiff damping which you probably don't want.
    hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had two on each front wheel, took one off on each side and it rode a lot better. while your at it, cut the boots off. They hold in mud and water.

90K5

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Well, i don,t know if one shock in each wheell is better than two. I only know that now with the socks faded like you say,the truck jumps a lot and it is very unstable in the corners.Here the traffic ahs a lot of corners and climbs,is not like in USA. Thanks.

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Jorge,

I agree with you about the windy roads and wanting to keep the quads. I live in the mountains and love my quad setup. You do need shocks vavled specifically for a quad setup, they share the work. If you were to use two regular shocks, It'd ride like a buckboard. Rancho makes decent shocks for this setup, and they're lifetime waranteed too!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The second shocks are shorter than the main top ones. Rancho has the kit. I run the dual setup on my burb since I tow with it. It helps on bumpsteer alot to. As for the Jimmy I took the quad shock setup off of it because it limits articulation quite a bit.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes, i,m sure the best mark for this parts is Rancho.My trouble is here in Spain Is not Rancho products,i might to import it from USA,and the price goes up almost the double.
    I have seen in the Gabriel web page a lot of gas absorbers for the quad suspension, i don,t know if these are so goods like Rancho,but maybe a Gabriel dealer can get out it for me.
    (Here the Gabriel Mark is very usual).
    However ,is there some web page where i could looking for the Rancho set up for the K5?In the Rancho oficial page only speaks for the modens GM trucks applications.Thanks.