Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet Carb help Please?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mico85K5, Apr 2, 2000.

1. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

I have decided to try and rebuild my carb and would really take any tips/tricks to doing the job.

I have a quadrajet 17085231 on a stock 305.
    I bought the $20 rebuild kit and noticed it doesn't include floats-do I and should I replace these?
    What other parts will I have to buy?
    Just how should I go about it?
    Do I need to soak parts etc.

Please help a fellow K5er!

Driving your blazer=FUN!

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I usually grab a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Take it apart and just clean everything. Pay attention where and how everything comes apart, the directions are never explicit enough on putting it back together. Follow all the directions on the enclosed paper work with all the adjustments to be made and it is rare you can go wrong. The float is a singular item to be purchased seperate of the kit. Check the one you remove. if it shows signs of wear or has any gas inside it , replace it. Actually I replaced it anyway just to be safe, it did not cost that much more.
    The biggest thing is to watch where all the parts go, and how all the linkages go back together, kinda like a jig-saw puzzle...
    Good Luck..

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

To remove the heavy varnish, get a bottle of Lime-Away and big pan, disassemble the carb and then put the carb body in the Lime-Away for about 20 min. Don't leave it in much longer it can start eating away at the body, next rinse it with alot of water, then use the carb cleaner and your tooth brush.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!