Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet Carb Question (I need hillbilly fuel injection)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

I have a Edelbrock Performer carb on my truck now, and it does not like hills /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I also have a used Rochester Quadrajet in the garage that needs to be rebuilt. Anyhow, I decoded the Quadrajet and it is for a manual trans. Will there be any problem using it on my 350c.i., TH400 ?

Thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there shouldn't be anything different about it, except maybe no kickdown cable connection(not sure if TH400s need that, I hate autos).

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

t-400 doesnt use a kickdown cable...shouldnt be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

That's what I figured. Thanks guys.

5. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

sled dog had it right, there is no problem with using it, I don't even know why they put that code on there. Think you'll be happy with the quad on hills, been hearing iffy things about the truck avenger, and most hollys don't work, its the next best thing to fuel injection once you get it set right in my opinion.

6. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You were almost there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

750 or 800?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have an Edelbrock offroad, anxious to try it off road. On road it rocks. I hate QJets, never had one run right on my motor.

9. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an Edelbrock offroad, anxious to try it off road. On road it rocks. I hate QJets, never had one run right on my motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to hate it.

Edelbrock carbs are horrible for off road. JK5 just sent me a video of my truck and all it did was flood, load up, smoke black, and die out the whole time I was there. Once I got it back on the road, everything was fine from there.

Edelbrock carbs are worthless offroad. So worthless in fact that I can't even leave it there until I do my TBI swap later this year.....I'm getting that junk off my truck TOMORROW!

"Off road carburator" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif what a joke!!!! That's like saying some chick is a virgin whore!

11. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I just read that comparison, and as interesting and well done as it is, it is outdated. Now that Holley has the Truck Avenger carb. My question /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif is does Holley's answer to that comparo really make for a better than Q-Jet carb? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

<font color="green">Later,
    Allan Greenblazer </font>

12. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

Yeah, was going down a VERY steep long hill (pucker factor was about a 9 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and the engine died and I couldn't stop, so I had to ride it out to the bottom /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That is the reason I am getting rid of the Edelbrock Performer.

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had all the flooding problems with a new Edlebrock but all problems went away when I install the spring loaded float needles them recomend for off roading. Took maybe an hour and didn't have to remove the carb.That was years ago on a k-10n with 350.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my Edelbrock came with those parts. Its not Performer its a Thunder AVS with the spring loaded needle and seat. Shall see if it makes a real difference. All I know so far is the Holley and the Qjet on the motor before this Ebrock both ran like poop, this Ebrock runs like a freaking champ, never had so much response or power on tap.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm definetally gonna upgrade from the stock replacement pump to an aftermarket unit.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm, now you guys are making me think about the Edelbrock off road kit for mine. I've had nothing but problems with my carb off road, and if those spring loaded needle/seat assemblies really make that much difference I may go that route instead of a Q-Jet.

TBI is happening before the year is out though.