Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet Carb Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrentNClemson, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BrentNClemson

BrentNClemson Registered Member

I've currently got a Holley 650 cfm carb on a Trail Master GM crate motor. It's an 86 K5 w/ 39.5's and 5.88 gears. Needless to say I'm gettin bad gas mileage...plus the engine likes to die on me on inclines and slants... Anyway, how would a Quadrajet carb affect gas mileage, power, and the engine dying on inclines? Thanks a lot.
    -Brent /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Q-Jet rules off road! The float bowl is in the center of the carb and you can extend the floatbowl vent tube with a small piece of fule line to prevent fuel from sloshing into the primariys. Fuel economy is way better because the primarys are small. When power is needed you also have HUGE secondarys for WOT times.
    I have been running the Edlebrock 1901 Q-jet sence '94 and just reciently had to clean and rebuild it. Works great!

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Before you post, please read at least the posts from 24 hours earlier, and usually you should do a search for a week.
    This was discussed in the last 24 hours.
    You can get much more responses that way because everyone is concentrated in one spot.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Bah....I don't want to step on any toes...But put yourself in his shoes. If I were a new guy to this place and just wanted a quick answer, I sure as hell wouldn't go through the trouble to thumb thru a bunch of posts. Thats what this place is about. Especially for the new guys. I can see tellin a "vetran" member to use search or to read back a few days of posts for similar question, But not the guys with only 5 posts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 with a quadrajet that was remanufactuered by holley. I think it set me back about 200 at orielly's. I have never had the carb stall out the engine on an incline. and I've been up stuff that had you looking at the sky. The only time my engine has ever stalled out was when it got really hota and started lossing compression in the cylinders, but at 190,000 miles thats not becasue of the carb. Besides the primary being smaller, it should give you more power for passing considering most quadrajets are either 750 or 795 cfm's stock. edelbrock has one that is a 850. I think it came on the big blocks.

6. BrentNClemson

BrentNClemson Registered Member

Hey, sorry for not checking the previous posts about the carb. It's kinda overwhelming the number of posts that run through this board, but I'll be sure to do that next time. And thanks KidJethro.
    -Brent