Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quadrajet help????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Feb 6, 2005.

hey everyone! i got this little issue with the q-jet. when i start the truck first thing in the morning its revs are ridiculously high. then it will go back to normal only apon driving for awhile, then its fine for the rest of the day
    any help with quadra jet idle would be great! thanks

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I wish I could help, try lubing up all the mechanical parts. My q-jet hates cold starts and has been acting up lately. the Choke wont kick down and keeps running too high. Sounds like your symptoms, pain in the ass. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution.

And oh ya WELCOME TO CK5:hack: :yikes: :weld: :grind: :usaflag:

Jesse

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

your fast idle on the cam is probably too high.
    locate the screw on the pass side of the carb on the primary throttle shaft, should be a phillips head. back the screw out till the lever does not touch the stop, thread it in till it just touchs in and then in 3 turns. this should solve your problem, if not im not sure exactly whats wrong then.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't know much about carbs but i know if the mixture is lean it will idle high and rev high.

sounds like 83 is right but if it still acts up it's probably running lean.

4. thanks for all the help, it seems to run fine otherwise its just in the morning when i first start that it idles too high. Are these carbs supposed to 'kick down'?

it goes back to how it normally is after i put it in gear and drive for a bit- any help to save that ever expensive gas:mad:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How high is the idle , do you have a tach ? I like mine to idle around 1500 rpm for up to 5 mins before I drive it . They are supposed to idle high until the choke coils warms , so you warm the engine up , it is NORMAL . Since the begining of time its been : get in pump carb once ( sometimes 2 or 3 times ) , start , wait 5 mins , blip throttle , then drive . I don't really care one way or the other the science behind warming the engine up , I just know I always have and always will , a little gas used is OK if the engine lives longer :k5: :k5:

6. it doesent kick down. it should right? i dont know much about quadrajets. my last rig was tbi i wanted somethin not electrical so now i gotta learn lol.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

IMHO...So far everyone is wrong and leading you down the wrong path. Q-Jets are known for a casting defect that allows the gas in the float bowl to leak down into the intake over time. This can be easily fixed by removing the carb. Flip it over and remove the 3 torx screws that hold on the bottom section. Find the area to be repaired and rough it up a little. Then apply JB weld.

I have seen the same issue over and over again on the 80"s TA's i used to work on. I am almost positive that this will fix your issue.

Searchj around the intarweb for Q-Jet rebuild and you will find lots of info on the subject.

8. it goes back down when i drive 2 blocks

also when i push back on the throttle lever idle goes down to a more normal warm rpm should i get firmer/shorter return springs?

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The JB weld or epoxy trick fixes the fuel leaking down and making a puff of smoke at startup . It won't make it idle high for an extended period of time . I would adjust the choke . The Jb Weld trick is a good one though , and my Q-jet sports this :k5: :k5:

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It will make it idle high at startup...however it will oknly idle high for about 3 - 4 seconds. It can also make for hard starts after it sits for a while.

I think i did not understand that your idle was high for a couple of minutes. That is definatly not a leak issue. If it only does this when it is cold i would do as pauly383k10 said and start by adjusting the choke.

Sorry for the confusion abou8t the JB weld trick. But i am sure you will be able to use that info someday.