Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet model 7045738 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nonesuch, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I have a 7045738 Rochester that I can't find a rebuild kit for. I have broke the model number down into this:

70- Rochester
    45-1975
    7-
    3-Cadillac
    8- Automatic

The 7 (emissions) is throwing me off. 2 indicates Federal and 5 indicates Cali. Why and where is this 7 coming from? Should I and can I just purchase a 7045238 rebuild kit since I don't need emissions or high altitude? Or were there items in the manufacturing process that may require me using the specific 7045738 kit?

I am assuming that since I know the year of the carb and I know I don't want emissions that I can get away with the 7045238 kit. Any thoughts?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bet you could get away with the "2". I wonder if the odd number is for a boat setup or a motorhome that they put a Caddy engine in? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

This engine/carb definatly came out of a caddy car. I have seen some part numbers such as 7045193 in the books as well which make no sense either. Q-jet's definatley can be confusing when identifying. I will use the emmisions code "2" kit most likely. I just am looking for some 'expert' opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Knowing carb kits, it will *probably* come with the right gaskets. If that carb is high altitude (only thing I can think of that "7" could denote that isn't covered in the decoders I looked at) then I'd suspect that the calibration of the carb is whats different, not the gaskets and all.

CA models are *probably* the same way, but to be honest, as many of these carbs as I've had apart, very few are the same internally. (passages, gaskets, accelerator pump, etc)

Carb kits suck, because all the ones I've ever purchased are not returnable once you open them, which is the only way you can compare the gaskets, which are the only real difference in the kits. (which usually come with twice as many gaskets as you need)

Doesn't the auto parts store ask for the Q-jet ID numbers anyway?

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Those carb kits always seem to come with about 4 different airhorn gaskets plus a bunch of other stuff. I bet you would be OK.

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

The knock off kits are cheap at $13 bucks. I will give the 7045238 kit a shot and if it works out I will by a name brand kit when the next rebuild is needed. I probably won't run this carb on the Cad 472 very long. I am eventually going to run propane on this motor.