Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet PCV hook up location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AussieK5, Aug 15, 2005.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a quadrajet base plate on a straight propane engine thats sucking way too much oil through the PCV valve.

ATM its hooked to a pencil sized vac pipe located on the front RH side of the plate, is this the usual point to run the PCV off?

If so I'll will be scratching my head as to why I've got enough vacuum to suck a pint of oil per 100 miles through the PCV valve.

Thanks

Jason

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Front RH side? As in passenger side?

Typical location as I recall is drivers side front of carb, big fitting that sticks straight out. It and EVAP are the two largest fittings (same size?) I can think of on those carbs.

The valve covers are baffled for PCV?

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats it....

the covers are stock baffled ones, I've replaced the valve twice and ATM have a clear bowl fuel filter inline to check the oil movement. Even with the restriction of the filter it still sucks a load of oil.

Looks like Im going to have to dig deep for this one. I've already pulled the intake, checked the intake valves (brand new heads) and compression to narrow down oil use to the PCV.

I might try an expansion port above the PCV to slow down velocities and let the oil drain back.

Thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant breathe!

Do you have a breather on the other valve cover to let air IN the crankcase??--if you dont,the PVC will suck oil like crazy,as it tries to get air from somewhere,by pulling it past the rings....I used to see this a lot when a kid would buy cheapie chrome valve covers that had no baffles for the PVC valve,and no hole for a breather in them!..

If you do have a breather,then something is very wrong,the rings might not be seating or something--you should not have that much blowby...if you put "brand new heads" on a high mileage block,without doing the rings and cylinders,you can make tons of blowby that way..I had a 305 that ran ok,but needed valve stem seals--so I threw on a recently redone set of heads from another motor--it smoked so bad I could not drive it without being pulled over by the cops for excssive smoke!--when everything is worn equally,its ok--but tighten up the valves,and those high mileage rings will leak every time.. :doah: :crazy: