Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quadrajet problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shruper, Apr 11, 2000.

1. shruper

shruper Newbie

i own a 86 k-5 blazer with a stock 350 and a cranky quadrajet, which is computer controled. i would like to replace it with an aftermarket carb, but i am running into DEQ problems. i have been told my only two choices would be a remanufactured or a rebuild. any suggestions please?????

n/a

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Holley and others have bolt-up Qjet replacements. Check Summit Jegs etc for details. The Holleys make more power but have limitations on the trail.

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I also own an 86 with about 180,000 on the Q-Jet. I was told the same thing. However, I have my doubts that any of the computer controlled stuff on mine is working. Need to undo the plugs one at a time to test that theroy, if so I can buy any carb i want.

Have you come up with a solution?

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Play stupid and replace it with one that is pre the electric BS and hide the connections behind the carb. Unless the emmison Nazi's pull the air cleaner they will never know If you get it tuned right it will pass. Get one thats 79 or newer and it will have all the correct vac ports to suport the EVAP and EGR gear. Only thing you need to find out is if the AIR pump will work correctly without the carb being connected. I have noticed that some of the AIR systems have a few electrical connections for solinoids. Them CCC carbs are a major pain that was never perfected. They only ran 2 years on the trucks before the FI replaced them so they are VERY expensive even for a rebuilt one.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I replaced the Q-jet on my '79 with a Holley. It starts easier and runs great. I do need to get the off-road needle and seat.

Blazin' in Flagstaff